Product to remove iron stains from ceramic

New Post Advanced Search

Product to remove iron stains from ceramic

5 replies 101 views
SterlingtimesSterlingtimes Forumite
1.7K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭
Hello. I am looking for a stain remover to remove iron stains from ceramic wall tiles. When I google, I get a range of products to remove stains from [smoothing] irons but it is the red/orange iron stain that I want to remove. In the USA, there is a product called "Iron Out"  that is not available in the UK. Has anyone, pleased, used an iron stain remover?
Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.

Replies

• theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would probably be called rust remover in this country.  Strong vinegar or citric acid are the home remedies and can work well.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • SterlingtimesSterlingtimes Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    It would probably be called rust remover in this country.  Strong vinegar or citric acid are the home remedies and can work well.
    That is helpful. Thank you. I can see that Hammerite has a Rust Remover Gel. I will search around. Ceramic tiles are on a wall, i.e. vertical, so a gel could be ideal. 
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    ROY47 said:
    Thank you. I think that this may do the trick and I have ordered.
    I had a bathroom fitted about three years ago with "grab bars" in the shower. The fitter took some care to purchase stainless steel screws. Somehow there is rusting and the rust has discoloured the tiles. I will need to remove the grab bars which are presumably chrome plated to examine which component has rusted. I may need to replace with the suction type grab bars.
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    ROY47 said:
    Thank you again. That product turns irons stains to a light purple colour upon contact. It did the trick. It has a peculiar smell, almost like photographic chemicals. Anyway, it will be useful to keep at hand.