Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

funeral plan for people with disabilities

New Post Advanced Search

funeral plan for people with disabilities

7 replies 101 views
henrycrosbyhenrycrosby Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
My son is 31 and has severe learning and physical impairments. I am an appointed deputy ie court of protection order which means I have the legal  authority to make decisions on his behalf for all financial and welfare situations. he has a budget from direct payments which covers all living and care costs and benefits which enable him to live a safe and secure lifestyle and he can afford a funeral plan. are there any companies you think would be able to help for this inevitable event in the future. He is in good health and has no long term life threatening illnesses. As I am 65 I would like to have things in place for him.. 

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    29.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could use any funeral plan provider, as the plans are not medically based.  You're simply buying a funeral at today's prices and then using it at the time of need.
  • Weighty1Weighty1 Forumite
    846 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The  biggest problem he'll find is a company that accept applications from such young people.  Most funeral plan providers start with applicants aged 50 and over.  Smart Insurance offer a guaranteed acceptance life insurance plan for anyone over 30.  It's a whole of life plan offering up to £20,000 of cover, however, if your son has not got mental capacity then you may not be able to take it out anyway.  I'd say it would be worthwhile giving them a call and seeing if you can arrange a policy on his behalf.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you don't want is the sort of plan advertised ad infinitum on TV during the day, where you pay a fixed amount, every month for the rest of your life.  Even with severe impairments people can live very long lives.  You really need to try and find some form of plan as described by zx81, where you pay, or commit to pay, for a funeral at today's price.  Just make sure that any plan is underwritten by insurance, not just with a local funeral director who may go out of business.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    19.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If his life expectancy isn't impaired, is it worthwhile looking into this at all at the moment? It would be rather odd for any other 31 year old to be worrying about this sort of thing. If there's spare money I would just be investing it somewhere more flexible in case he wants to use it for something else in the next half century or so.
  • Weighty1Weighty1 Forumite
    846 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 said:
    What you don't want is the sort of plan advertised ad infinitum on TV during the day, where you pay a fixed amount, every month for the rest of your life.  Even with severe impairments people can live very long lives.  You really need to try and find some form of plan as described by zx81, where you pay, or commit to pay, for a funeral at today's price.  Just make sure that any plan is underwritten by insurance, not just with a local funeral director who may go out of business.
    Normally the insurance backed plans are the ones similar to the over 50's plans where the applicant would continue paying until age 90 and it's these ones that will normally only accept applicants from age 50 onwards.
    Standard funeral plans which are paid up within a set number of years are not insurance backed, however, the money is normally held within trust and thereby protecting the person covered should the funeral director stop trading, go bust etc.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I appreciate you want to get things sorted, my question would be what benefit might there be for him in doing this at this point in time?
    A document covering what is important to/for him with regards to end of life care and funeral service covers the important stuff. Having the finances in place is not directly benefitting him, more those that he may leave behind. He may be able to afford it but are there other things to spend the money on that would benefit him more directly right now?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the assumption that he will outlive you, do you have a funeral plan?
    He isn't going to have to worry about his own. If he has no money and no-one else to pay for it, the council will make arrangements for a statutory funeral. 
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.