Ebay and Paypal refusing a refund for item

Please bear with me, I'm new here and rather stressed.
Paypal have refused to refund me for an item I sent back to the seller. The item was used despite being advertised as new.
I used a return label via ebay (the seller automatically and instantly accepted the return, no questions asked).This was not his business address apparently but Pp had no issue with this initially (due to lockdown).

I had to keep phoning Pp as their promises of  being refunded in 3 days had not materialised. They sent the seller the tracking number, and in response he sent me another mail address, this time via Pp some 3 weeks after I had posted the item! Pp now say I should have used this mail label. Catch 22.

The seller has not accepted the item and it has come back to me (I have been carded for it).
Pp have referred me to ebay and ebay said to contact paypal. I have done everything asked of me and I'm losing a lot of money. 

Pp have refused a refund saying the tracking info is invalid and there is no evidence of a return. They have closed the claim.I think Pp have been led down a false route with the seller issuing a mail label (via pp) 3 weeks after posting.

In the event this gets sorted I will donate 70 pounds to a UK wildlife charity. Rather that than a dishonest seller keeping my money.

Comments

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,578 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 July 2020 at 4:10PM
    What is the status of the return case with eBay?

If you opened a not as described return, used the label from the return and the tracking shows the parcel was sent eBay should have refunded you? 
  • TE
    TE Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What is the status of the return case with eBay?

If you opened a not as described return, used the label from the return and the tracking shows the parcel was sent eBay should have refunded you? 

Ebay referred me to paypal and vice versa. You would think they would refund me but they have not. The ebay label I used is not his business address. Paypal said I should have used the mail label sent via themselves rather than ebay, but the item had already been returned (using mail label via ebay) 3 weeks before the seller released a mail label via pp.

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How many cases did you have open?  You need to be clear where you opened the return and deal with that.  Cross referencing Paypal and eBay is not helpful.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,578 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 July 2020 at 4:30PM
    OP mentioning that you used the eBay label suggests you opened a return case on eBay? (Forget about Paypal for the minute :) )
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OP mentioning that you used the eBay label suggests you opened a return case on eBay? (Forget about Paypal for the minute :) )
    I agree, if the case is open on eBay and their return label used - and an attempt made to deliver then this is an automatic win for the buyer. I can’t recall having seen such a claim fail - OP assuming the case was open on eBay this is nothing to do with PayPal and you need to phone them back, be polite but clear you have followed procedures as outlined in their terms and conditions and are entitled to a refund. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TE
    Yes, the return case was opened with ebay.
    I involved paypal  because I could not initially get to speak with anyone at ebay. The date for ebay intervening was mid July. I had already escalated a claim with paypal.
    I can confirm return was via ebay and tracking demonstrates the item has been posted.

I have spent around a hour and a half with various persons at ebay to no avail.I insisted they refund me but they referred me to paypal. Paypal are saying for me to contact ebay. 

One of my main  concerns at the moment is what on earth do I do with the item. It has come back to me. I have been carded for it and it is at my local post office depot. 
  • TE said:
    I involved paypal  because I could not initially get to speak with anyone at ebay. The date for ebay intervening was mid July. I had already escalated a claim with paypal.
    I can confirm return was via ebay and tracking demonstrates the item has been posted.

I have spent around a hour and a half with various persons at ebay to no avail.I insisted they refund me but they referred me to paypal. Paypal are saying for me to contact ebay. 

One of my main  concerns at the moment is what on earth do I do with the item. It has come back to me. I have been carded for it and it is at my local post office depot. 
    If you look at the eBay return details can you see an option to appeal? 

With regards to Paypal, they would have asked you to return it to a specific address, was this address the same one on the eBay label? 

I would collect the item from the Royal Mail depot.

Is it easy to demonstrate that the item clearly didn't match the description? If so letter before action and small claims is always a back up. 
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    TE said:

This sounds like you had two cases open....how would you escalate the claim with Paypal otherwise?  You cannot have two claims open - physically you can but they will close one of them or even both. 

Which label did you use to return the item.  Did you advise the correct platform of the return method you chose?

What is the status of your return on ebay?

You have created this issue yourself, unless you are able to unravel it you may be stuck with civil action. 
  • TE
    TE said:

With regards to Paypal, they would have asked you to return it to a specific address, was this address the same one on the eBay label? 

Is it easy to demonstrate that the item clearly didn't match the description? If so letter before action and small claims is always a back up. 
    Thanks for your input.

No option to appeal on ebay, I just checked. I opened a return with ebay originally. (Not a claim, claim was opened with paypal). When I look at the item in purchase history it says the return is complete.
    Tracking via ebay confirms item despatched to make the return. Also delivery attempted on the seller's end but no reply.
    I have screenshots proving the return is complete.

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TE said:
    TE said:

Thanks for your input.

No option to appeal on ebay, I just checked. I opened a return with ebay originally. (Not a claim, claim was opened with paypal). When I look at the item in purchase history it says the return is complete.
    Tracking via ebay confirms item despatched to make the return. Also delivery attempted on the seller's end but no reply.
    I have screenshots proving the return is complete.

A case and a claim are the same thing, and that might be the reason for the confusion, both eBay and PayPal will see the claim open elsewhere and basically close their own involvement. If eBay supplied a label then the case should have been left there and a further case should not have been opened in PayPal at all .

You really need to resolve this with eBay, It’s a shame that two cases were opened as that has complicated things. As I mentioned previously this is an automatic win for a buyer in eBay when a single case is open. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback