PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ews1 form ?

Hi all
Just after some advice.
We currently selling our flat (1st floor with a balcony).
After numerous delays thanks to the buyers solicitors they have now asked for a ews1 form.

The freeholder of the block has advised that there isnt one for the block. 
I've looked up legislation and the ews1 form does only appear to be needed for high rise blocks that are over 18 metres I  height.

I've measured my block with a tape.measure and using work ladders and height of the entire building is about 14 1/2 metres tall.  Would I still require the ews1 form ? This has been the move from hell so far and has been dragging on for months, any advice would be welcome cheers 

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think you've answered your own question: just refer them to the height clause and the actual height of the block. Solicitor would have no way of knowing the actual height, so they're covering themselves.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • twizard12
    twizard12 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks for your reply mate. 
    Just wanted to double check really. Our buyers solicitors have been painful and my partner and myself are just desperate to get it over the line!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    twizard12 said:
    After numerous delays thanks to the buyers solicitors they have now asked for a ews1 form.

The freeholder of the block has advised that there isnt one for the block. 
    I've looked up legislation and the ews1 form does only appear to be needed for high rise blocks that are over 18 metres I  height.

I've measured my block with a tape.measure and using work ladders and height of the entire building is about 14 1/2 metres tall.  Would I still require the ews1 form ? This has been the move from hell so far and has been dragging on for months, any advice would be welcome cheers 
    There's two questions...

1. Does the law require one? No.
    2. Does the lender require one before they'll lend? Nothing saying they can't ask for one...
  • twizard12
    First Post
    Hi mate 
    Yes this is what I'm wondering.
    Hopefully not and it is just the solicitor being fussy/ covering themselves.
    We've been given the dead line to exchange contracts by Wednesday or the chain will collapse and this was only brought to our attention friday afternoon. Very stressed!! 
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    macman said:
    I think you've answered your own question: just refer them to the height clause and the actual height of the block. Solicitor would have no way of knowing the actual height, so they're covering themselves.
    Although the request comes via the solicitors, I doubt it's a complication that the buyer's solicitor has created themselves, much more likely to be a recommendation from the lender's valuer. 
  • twizard12
    First Post
    I'm very confused by it all,  estate agent told us months ago that the buyers mortgage was finalised all was ready to done bar a couple final enquires, this form wasn't mentioned until the last minute. If it's as serious as I've read online then they should have been asking for this from day one ?!  ,🤬😪
  • NameUnavailable
    NameUnavailable Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It seems to be more and more the default that the lenders want to see an ews1 form regardless.
    I'm looking to buy at present and am nervous of flats with anything other than brickwork on the outside. It seems that they ask for the form if there's any kind of cladding or any kind of balcony.
    Will they start asking for an ews1 form for ANY flat next? It's a minefield.
  • twizard12
    First Post
    The flat is made from brickwork. Its laughable, there is no cladding anywhere on the building, I'd send a picture but I still dont think they would be satisfied with that. 
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Are you sure it's not just a single-skin brick facing over other materials rather than 'made from bricks'?
  • Slithery said:
    Are you sure it's not just a single-skin brick facing over other materials rather than 'made from bricks'?
    Not sure why that should matter, bricks aren't 'cladding'. Most newer built properties with brick facing will have cavity walls, timber frames etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback