Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

Booking.com/hotel issue, who do I take to small claims?

New Post Advanced Search

UK Hols and Theatre

Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Booking.com/hotel issue, who do I take to small claims?

1 reply 71 views
We booked a hotel in Clacton through booking.com, well husband looked and saw it and it was the top of the list with okay pictures and reasonable ratings on booking.com, we booked for two nights for a double room for 10/11 July.
On arrival at the hotel we noticed it looked a bit shabby on the outside but we only intended using it as a base. However when given the key to our room, and on going up the stairs we realised there had been no Covid-19 precautions, sanitiser etc. The stairs leading to rooms were filthy and on entering the room we noticed a smell of vomit and damp. The room oddly contained a fridge and microwave and the bed was a double pushed against a wall, to get out of that side you would have had to go to the bottom of the bed and walk in the tv wires which were piled up On the floor at the base of the bed.
The bathroom door had holes punched in it and the only way to use the fridge which was awash with water was to drag it across to block the bathroom entrance to plug it in.
We returned to the reception and complained about the room, and the manager explained the room was full in the Saturday night but he could give us the sea view room as “an apology” but we could only have it for That night but would be moved to another room for the final night. Initially the second room looked ok, but on entering the bathroom, I noticed the toilet was filthy and the shower tray had dirt and hairs of various descriptions in it!
we then dragged out cases back down the stairs and told the manager we refused to stay there, where he ridiculously offered us a 3rd room to try!  We told him we would be complaining and left.

Apparently we *should* have called booking.com and asked their customer services to help. How they could have helped us with a “hotel” that is clearly used as council b & b for homeless people I’ve no idea.  On complaining to booking.com, they took ages asking questions, asking for photos and then saying “no refund” as we hadn’t contacted them,  I asked if it was them or the hotel refusing the refund they replied it was the hotel.

So...small claims court is my thinking.  We paid £115 for 2 nights for basically a hovel. I also reported it to environmental health as I can’t believe people have to stay in such appalling conditions (yes I know many places are worse, but the council are paying circa £60 min a night for dirty, damp, disgusting rooms).

Anyone have any experience in a similar situation?

Replies

• elsienelsien Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you take any photos or video to evidence your concerns? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.