New Post Advanced Search

Invalid car insurance?

2 replies 111 views
Julia463Julia463 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
My parents have one car, registered in my father's name. The insurance is also in his name with my mother as a named driver. My father has been diagnosed with Alzheimers and has been told not to drive. He stopped a few years ago anyway. Is the insurance policy still valid for my mother, or does the fact my father is not supposed to be driving invalidate the whole policy?

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your mother is now the main driver - do the insurance company know that?
    My father was able to insure his car after he stopped driving but there was a clause specifically excluding him - the rest of us were covered by an 'any driver over 50' clause.
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    He will need to notify his insurers that he has been instructed not to drive the vehicle. Most insurers will be reasonable in these circumstances and some will allow him to continue insuring in his name and others will allow them to transfer it to your mother's name and she can inherit his NCD