Do i have an aggressive cat?

Options
I’m looking for some advice regarding the behaviour of my 2 cats.

My gf and I moved in together around 18months ago and each of us brought a cat from our own houses.
They’ve settled in quite well and most of the time, get on fine. They never groom each other but we have seen a couple of licks being exchanged – it’s not grooming though.

As all cats do, they sometimes go on a mad half hour and run about crazy chasing each other. During this time the smaller cat, Candy, turns into what seems to be, a bully. She gets aggressive and constantly chases the larger more placid cat, Pixel.
Pixel often lies down with all 4 paws facing Candy in a defensive manner (this, I understand). Candy then prowls around looking for an opportunity to pounce on Pixel. At this time, both cats have their tales fluffed up which, I think, is an expression of anger/annoyance.
When Candy does pounce on Pixel, Pixel often ends up yelping and making noises that give the impression she’s not happy with it. Her ears are often tucked back too. Pixel constantly backs off, and eventually runs off but Candy more often than not, chases her and the same thing happens again.

When Candy is lifted away, Pixel immediately calms down and within a couple of seconds of me stroking and talking to her, starts purring. (Pixel is mine, Candy is my gf’s). Pixel’s immediate calming down makes it difficult for me to decide is what Candy doing normal and not really bothering Pixel, or does she purr very quickly because she’s so happy the situation has been stopped?

In general Candy is stroppy and easily annoyed. She’ll sometimes hiss at us for simply walking past her but other times will sit on my gf’s lap and settle down to sleep. Both were rescued cats a couple of years ago so we don’t know their complete history. Candy is around 5years old and Pixel is around 4years old. Both cats are allowed out whenever they want although they’re kept in the house when we’re at work.

Is this normal behaviour or is Candy being more aggressive towards Pixel than is normal? If so, how can we stop it?

Feel free to ask any questions if you need further info.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!

Comments

• Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds normal to me - I have brother and sister cats who do just that. He pins her down and bites her tummy or neck, while she wriggles and growls, but in minutes it's forgotten ... until he does it again. I wouldn't worry unless it's clear Pixel's being physically hurt rather than annoyed.
  • catlover1_2
    Options
    I'm no expert but maybe one or both cats feel threatened by each other ..... do they have high places / rooms/cupboards where they can get away from the other cat for a bit of "me" time.

Cats are not naturally herd animals and tend to have their own territories and need their own space where they feel safe.

Do they have thier own litter trays / food bowls etc.... as cats can find sharing very difficult.

Some cats only ever learn to tolerate each other, Candy make be aggressive as she feels threatened, and Pixel may be over reacting to get your sympathy and attention.

xx
  • nikib_3
    nikib_3 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    sounds normal to me too, like people who live together they have gripes, I think they are just sorting out who is in charge, I've had 7 cats, and they have all done this at one time or another. Unless its happening constantly, and Pixel hides all the time let them carry on. If they really scrap seperate them for 5 mins to diffuse it and then they will be over it. I bet when your not looking they cuddle up alot.
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all.
    in answer to the various questions asked.
    the cats don't have specific areas for themselves but Candy spends a lot of time in my gf's daughter's bedroom where Pixel doesn't go very often. Pixel spends a lot of time on our bed sleeping on my side so they do have areas away from each other.
    They don't have seperate litter trays but have slept on the couch about a foot apart. Same on our bed - around a foot apart.
    They have seperate food bowls though and are fed at the same time.
    Pixel is never physically hurt although Candy has been despite her being the aggressor. She's had a small scratch above her eye where it looks like Pixel caught her with a left hook. Neither cat has ever seemed to bothered by injuries though.
    When we think it's going too far or Pixel is complaining quite loudly, then they're seperated and Candy is either taken to another room or put outside. We never chastise either cat though because we know it's instinct rather than being nasty.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ah, when Garfield was live she and Kizzy hated each other! They were sisters from a recue centre but really didn;t like each toehr at alla nd constantly fought or ignored each otehr - they even refused to be in the same room!After Garfie died Kizzy changed personality and has been much happier as a lone cat.

THe purring you're confused about is cos she is feeling safe with you and trying to say she is not agressive - doesn;t mean she's happy about what's happenign with the other cat IYSWIM.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure