New Post Advanced Search

Contesting a Will - no Larke v Nugus

10 replies 754 views
WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
3K posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
(Asking for a relative)
If someone made a Will with some self employed Will writer who appears to be uncontactable, is it more difficult to contest that Will?
My relative was told to submit a Larke v Nugus letter to the Will writer but hasn't been able to find this person except on Facebook where they haven't replied to messages (generic ones were sent so as not to alert them to the issue without making contact first).
Is it a dead end if you can't get answers from the person who created the Will?
(The Executors and their families benefitted fully from the Will, so not much point asking them about details of the Will)

Replies

• xylophonexylophone Forumite
    35.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.willwriters.com/blog/larke-v-nugus-2/#:~:text=A%20Larke%20v%20Nugus%20letter%20is%20sent%20when%20there%20is,of%20the%20Will%20as%20possible.&text=Whether%20the%20information%20provided%20to%20the%20testator%20was%20explained%20and%20understood

Has the relative obtained a copy of the Will?

If he wants answers, either he or his solicitor will need to write as above to the drafter of the will at his registered address.

Why on earth should the drafter reply to generic questions from some stranger on Facebook?
  • WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, she has a copy of the Will.
    There is no registered address. The company name she has been given does not appear anywhere on the web, the home address for the person who drafted the Will was recently sold. She has no idea where he lives now, hence resorting to facebook.
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    35.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the home address for the person who drafted the Will was recently sold. 

Assuming he was living there, he may have arranged a mail forwarding service - your relative could try sending her letter to the last known address.

Otherwise, if she has compelling reasons to believe that some malpractice was involved and there are substantial sums at issue, she might think it worthwhile to employ a tracing service?

• MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

My relative was told to submit a Larke v Nugus letter to the Will writer but hasn't been able to find this person except on Facebook where they haven't replied to messages (generic ones were sent so as not to alert them to the issue without making contact first).
    Is it a dead end if you can't get answers from the person who created the Will?

Told by whom? And what does the person who 'told' your relative suggest she does now?
  • YoungBlueEyesYoungBlueEyes Forumite
    542 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Would it be possible to do a new will? Properly, through a solicitor?  I think this automatically cancels out the current one. I’m not an expert tho, happy to be corrected. 
    I don't make the same mistake twice. I like to make it 5 or 6 times, you know, just to be sure.
  • Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would it be possible to do a new will? Properly, through a solicitor?  I think this automatically cancels out the current one. I’m not an expert tho, happy to be corrected. 

I suspect they are deceased.
  • edited 24 July at 3:34PM
    MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 July at 3:34PM
    Not when the testator is dead. Ghosts can't make wills, so far as I know!
  • YoungBlueEyesYoungBlueEyes Forumite
    542 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ah. Yes. Let’s be kind and say I thought it was a hypothetical question... 
    I don't make the same mistake twice. I like to make it 5 or 6 times, you know, just to be sure.
  • WeAreGhostsWeAreGhosts Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There may be a mail forwarding service, I didn't think of that. I will suggest that as a course of action. Thank you.
    She has paid for a Certainty search which has revealed nothing.
  • BrynsamBrynsam Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about giving the name of the will writer in case anyone here has contact details?