NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Carers allowance

Hi everyone my sil is looking at caring for our fil I mentioned that she may be able to receive carers allowance but it was only £67.25 a week, they have spoke to someone the other day about it and they told her she could claim more than that amount?  Is this right I see if you're on a low income you could maybe get benefits but her husband works and has a good income so don't think it would apply to them is there something else I'm missing. We are in England...

Replies

• poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi everyone my sil is looking at caring for our fil I mentioned that she may be able to receive carers allowance but it was only £67.25 a week, they have spoke to someone the other day about it and they told her she could claim more than that amount?  Is this right I see if you're on a low income you could maybe get benefits but her husband works and has a good income so don't think it would apply to them is there something else I'm missing. We are in England...

To claim carers allowance the father in law muct claim a qualifying benefit himself, such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance. If he doesn't claim any of these she won't be able to claim it. If he does and she cares for him for at least 35 hours per week and she doesn't earn more than £128 per week after deductions then she can claim the carers allowance.
    However, she needs to check exactly what benefits her father in law is claiming because a claim for carers allowance could affect any other benefits he's claiming.
    Whether she's entitled to any other benefits will totally depend on her and her partners circumstances and with no information it's impossible to give any advice.