Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Getting rid of weeds and moss from gravel and patio

Hi, could anyone recommend a cheap but effective way to get rid of weeds and moss from constantly regrowing on my patio and gravel, please? I'm looking for a solution that requires minimum effort and time. I recently clearer all the cracks out between the patio blocks and refilled it with sand, but the moss and weeds have reappeared after only a couple of months.

Replies

• Black_Cat2Black_Cat2 Forumite
    524 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I did the same as you with the sand and found that weeds only need the smallest hole to take root.

I bit the bullet and have concreted between my slabs, taking advantage of more time on my hands due to covid.  Just did a bit at a time. 

I suggest you might want to spray with roundup or similar but I'm afraid you'll find the weeds will find a way back through whatever you do (but I'm ready to be proved wrong). 
    Just my opinion, no offence 🐈
  • edited 23 July 2020 at 9:08PM
    JustagardenerJustagardener Forumite
    307 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    edited 23 July 2020 at 9:08PM
    neudorff weedkiller. It is one of the very few weedkillers that kills moss and weeds. It is on the pricey side but you will not be wasting your money and it goes a long way.
    Out of interest, what sand did you use?
  • Ken2000Ken2000 Forumite
    65 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    neudorff weedkiller. It is one of the very few weedkillers that kills moss and weeds. It is on the pricey side but you will not be wasting your money and it goes a long way.
    Out of interest, what sand did you use?
    Thanks for the reply, I used sand designed for paving and jointing, but I don't think it's anything special. 
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The last time we re-sanded the block paved drive we used fine sand with weed inhibitor (Wickes).  2 years later we just get the odd weeds that are easily zapped with weedkiller.
  • dogmaryxxdogmaryxx Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Large bag  Tarmac rock salt.
    £5 at Wickes
    Job done
  •  I used sand designed for paving and jointing, but I don't think it's anything special. 
    I wonder if its a fine sand to be mixed with cement..for jointing and paving? This would have a binding property and explain why moss and weeds grow in it. This may sound slightly padantic but the more angular the sand granules, the easier they will drain and weed seeds will find it difficult to germinate and moss certainly won't grow in it. For example, you will rarely find weeds and moss growing on sandy beaches but leave a bag of builders bricky sand open to the elements and it will have moss and all sorts sprouting.