PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bungalow on market for over 1 year, what to offer

Options
We've looked at a bungalow in a rural hamlet that needs modernising (new kitchen, bathrooms x 2, electrics, boiler and decoration).  It's a three bedroomed 1960s bungalow, one bedroom is an extension and has a flat roof.  It's up for sale for offers over £300k and has been on the market for over a year.  The neighbouring bungalow sold in 2016 for £248K, it has only two bedrooms but a much bigger garden (0.2 of an acre) and although needed some modernisation not to the extent of the one we are currently looking at.  It is owned by an elderly but fit lady.  It is full to the gunnels of 'stuff'.  According to Zoopla in our area property prices have gone down 1.64% (taking into account inflation) between 2015 and now for a house of this type.  Personally I think it is worth around £250k.  Most buyers have been put off due to its location and the work required.

Any ideas how to approach this?  We have a limited budget so most of the work would be done by ourselves.  If the house was done up, we couldn't afford it!

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 July 2020 at 11:39AM
    Options
    Offer low, cash, swift completion
    - subject to survey.

Price is not the only important factor.  Indeed others may be more important
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If the 2016 property is the only one sold within relatively recent years then establishing the value of this bungalow will be quite difficult. In property terms 2016 is a long time ago and a lot happens with house prices in that time period.

What you think it is worth and what the vendor thinks it is worth are likely to be two very different figures. All you can do is put in your offer and see where it goes from there. If the vendor is not willing to accept your low figure, which is quite likely, then you will either have to raise your offer or walk away and find a different property.
  • Scottish_Dorset
    Options
    Offer low, cash, swift completion
    - subject to survey.

Price is not the only important factor.  Indeed others may be more important
    Thank you, unfortunately we are not in a 'cash' position.  We have a good deposit and a mortgage in principle.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,363 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you think it is worth around £250 and can afford that then offer it. You can't make the seller accept, but don't want to pay more than it is worth to you.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Surely the bungalow is priced lower than other three beds, to reflect the condition and allow for renovation costs?  
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the 2016 property is the only one sold within relatively recent years then establishing the value of this bungalow will be quite difficult. In property terms 2016 is a long time ago and a lot happens with house prices in that time period.

What you think it is worth and what the vendor thinks it is worth are likely to be two very different figures. All you can do is put in your offer and see where it goes from there. If the vendor is not willing to accept your low figure, which is quite likely, then you will either have to raise your offer or walk away and find a different property.
    The market is much much weaker than back then, for many people that probably was the selling window for top prices TBH. This sale sounds like the person selling is going to struggle with economic reality and might not be worth the hassle?
  • youth_leader
    edited 23 July 2020 at 5:35PM
    Options
    This vendor may have been wrongly advised as to what her bungalow is worth post renovation.  I was told my house would be worth £600K fully renovated, and advised to put it on for £400K.  A unique 5 bed semi detached a mile from the beach.  My whole selling experience was a nightmarish hell because of my belief the house 'would be' worth £600K when someone had spent £200K on it.

My experience was that many of the viewers the EA sent could only afford to buy the house as it stood,  and did not have the funds for the renovations, some of which were urgent ie the sash windows.  At the time I was not happy to accept offers of 15% less as the price was already low to reflect its condition.  I eventually got to the point where I would have given it away if I could have, this person might now be feeling the same. 
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This vendor may have been wrongly advised as to what her bungalow is worth post renovation.  I was told my house would be worth £600K fully renovated, and advised to put it on for £400K.  A unique 5 bed semi detached a mile from the beach.  My whole selling experience was a nightmarish hell because of my belief the house 'would be' worth £600K when someone had spent £200K on it.

My experience was that many of the viewers the EA sent could only afford to buy the house as it stood,  and did not have the funds for the renovations, some of which were urgent ie the sash windows.  At the time I was not happy to accept offers of 15% less as the price was already low to reflect its condition.  I eventually got to the point where I would have given it away if I could have, this person might now be feeling the same. 
    Imagine if you were trying to sell it now? I doubt many will share your views on "giving it away" though, a lot of people will just stay where they are rather than accept a lower value IMO.
  • youth_leader
    Options
    I imagine if I was trying to sell now I'd be ordering the oil and wood to see me through yet another freezing winter  :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport