We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help identifying a house plant

Options
I bought 2 house plants off the market a couple of weeks ago but I have no idea what they are!

They have four woody stems that twist around each other to form one - I assume it's been trained this way. At the top of the "trunk" is a mass of dark green leaves that have reddish vein markings on them.

I currently have them in the window of my north facing bedroom so they get light, but not direct. I have watered them once by standing them in some water. The soil is just ever so slightly damp. One of them is doing fine, but the other has just dropped nearly all it's leaves! I'm hoping if I can find out what they are I can revive it!

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I can't tell from your description. How about taking a leaf off each plant and taking it to your local garden centre to see if they can identify them. Failing that take them to your local library and look them up in a gardening reference book.
  • linda-ann
    linda-ann Posts: 2,087 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wpe272.jpgCould this be it a ficus firn:confused:
    YouGov :) £50.....2/09/09
    YovGov :) £50....11/03/11
    YouGov :) £50....10/08/12
    YouGov :) £50....15/11/13
    YouGov :) £50....15/12/14
  • linda-ann
    linda-ann Posts: 2,087 Forumite
    Options
    Heres a web site that might help as well
    http://www.ficusnfern.com/
    YouGov :) £50.....2/09/09
    YovGov :) £50....11/03/11
    YouGov :) £50....10/08/12
    YouGov :) £50....15/11/13
    YouGov :) £50....15/12/14
  • katiep_2
    katiep_2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    No, bigger leaves than that - the biggest leaves are about the size of my hand (I have fairly small hands!). Almost though, so I'll keep on looking! Thanks for your help so far!
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Options
    The leaves look like that of a Weeping Fig
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not sure what it is, but your experience shows why it can be a false economy buying tenderish house plants from a market stall at this time of year. The poor thing probably spent its life in a Dutch polytunnel at a fairly constant 23C, then was transported miles in a cold lorry before being stood out in the cold on a market stall, possibly for days. Nothing wrong with markets or the treatment you're giving it now, except that the window sill area might get chilly too at night. Might it be 4 separate Fatsias woven together as they grew, but not sure because of the red veins.
  • katiep_2
    katiep_2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everybody and thanks for your help so far. I went into a garden centre today, and we think it's a Croton. The good news so far is that no more leaves have dropped since the initial shedding, so I'm hopeful that I can revive it! And now that I (think I) know what it is I know how to look after it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure