We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Neighbour cut down tree on my property

Options
BdebtB
BdebtB Posts: 21 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hey everyone, 
I'm looking for some advice on how to handle a recent situation. On Sunday I was out for an hour and when I came home I discovered that the neighbour had cut down a small tree and the tops of a laurel bush in my garden at fence hight. I'm extremely upset by this as as far I'm aware you can only cut back branches that overgrow the boundary of a property and not take any hight off. 

For a bit of content I have a large laurel bush thats adjacent to the fence which is probably around 10 to 12 feet high. I was intending to cut this down in the spring and had spoken to next door about doing so but with the lockdown closing all the recycling plants near by I've delayed taking the bush down as I've had nowhere to take the rubbish. 
Next to the bush is a small Oak tree maybe about the same size as the bush which was also cut down and I'm mainly annoyed about this as I'm fond of trees and this one has been growing for several years to reach the height it was at. 
I popped next door to complain and was not happy with the response I got at all! 

Firstly they claimed that we had already spoken about the size of the hedge, which is true but this was over 6 months ago and it as far as I'm aware it's my decision when to cut it back. 
Secondly they then claimed they knocked on my door but I was out (I was out for about an hour tops on the day this happened) and as thy got no answer they went a head anyway. 
They then said they spoke to my other neighbour and that this some how made it  OK. I had previously agreed to cut some trees on that side but this was following a discussion with them first. 

I'm not sure how to proceed. I've very angry that this has happened and the lack of any apology and the fact they claimed to have the right to do so. Part of me wants to report them for criminal damage but at the same time I'm not a fan of getting in to feuds of conflicts, especially with people living next door to me and they have right of way access through my garden so I cant exactly avoid them. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It is criminal damage, but if you don't want to declare a dispute should you want to sell your property, then don't pursue it through official channels, like the police. This is good leverage against them as well, because should they want to sell, the same applies. It's always good to confirm relations with neighbours are OK in that situation.
    In a broader context, you are correct in not wanting to have bad relations with a neighbour if at all possible, while at the same time maintaining your rights. As you understand it correctly, I'd  explain the law to them again, say you get it that there was a misunderstanding this time and that it should not happen again. Also point out that you will be replacing the tree (other smaller varieties are available!) when the bare root season arrives and you don't expect the next on to be topped out by them.
    For reference, an oak tree near a boundary might not be a great choice in suburban situations, but obviously I don't know the circumstances here. I have one near my house and it's coming down next winter because it is astride drains. Luckily, I have plenty more, but they are well away from others' property.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback