Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» Deaths, Funerals & Probate

NS&I not providing a valuation of accounts after 4 months of requesting it.

New Post Advanced Search

NS&I not providing a valuation of accounts after 4 months of requesting it.

14 replies 751 views
oscaritomirandaoscaritomiranda Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I requested a valuation of my ex-partners accounts for probate purposes 4 months ago. After hours on the phone being on hold or speaking to advisors who could not provide any useful information I am losing the will to live. I have filed a complaint with them (it has not been looked at it either) and just recently with the Financial Ombudsman. There is obviously an issue with my request but no one is able to tell me what it is so I can act on it. I also understand the coronavirus pandemic has increase the response times, but 4 months is beyond excessive.
Has anyone else gone through the same predicament with NS&I? Can anyone offer any advice?

Replies

• -taff-taff Forumite
    12.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you the executor?
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im guessing the issue might be your rights to the information. you don't automatically have rights to your partners accounts.
    Was there a will?
    Are you named as executor in the will?
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    35.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I requested a valuation of my ex-partners accounts for probate purposes 4 months ago.

Late partner?

You are applying for probate as the executor of the will of the deceased?

https://www.nsandi.com/what-do-i-do-if-nsi-customer-has-died

Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we have smaller teams at the moment. Normally we would reply to you by post within seven days of receiving your form. However, during this time, we are experiencing significant delays and we aim to respond in around 4 weeks. Please bear with us.

• DairyQueenDairyQueen Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Nightmare dealing with NS&I on deceased estates at the moment. We have been waiting for almost 5 weeks for them to release the funds in late mum-in-law's account and no end in sight.

• edited 22 July at 9:49AM
    lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 July at 9:49AM
    Nightmare dealing with NS&I on deceased estates at the moment. We have been waiting for almost 5 weeks for them to release the funds in late mum-in-law's account and no end in sight.

Sorry for your loss
     Would you be kind enough to keep us updated on that please
  • poppystarpoppystar Forumite
    384 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Had chat with NS&I this morning and they said there are currently working on forms received 12th June, so they are working more like six weeks behind now. 

Not that that that helps you OP if you sent yours off months ago.
    26.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't mind if things take longer, but I find it's really good to have expectations set so I'm not having to continually chase.
    I was expecting around 2 months for NSI anyway.
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I requested a valuation of my ex-partners accounts for probate purposes 4 months ago. After hours on the phone being on hold or speaking to advisors who could not provide any useful information I am losing the will to live. I have filed a complaint with them (it has not been looked at it either) and just recently with the Financial Ombudsman. There is obviously an issue with my request but no one is able to tell me what it is so I can act on it. I also understand the coronavirus pandemic has increase the response times, but 4 months is beyond excessive.
    Has anyone else gone through the same predicament with NS&I? Can anyone offer any advice?
    What authority have you provided to NS&I to enable them to give you information about your ex-partner? Presumably you are an executor of the will and have sent them a certified copy?
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    979 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I sent NS&I a bereavement claim form in respect of my father's Income Bond on 13 June.  Had their reply (dated 18 July) back today.
    They didn't require a copy of the will as I confirmed that I would be applying for probate.  Once that's obtained I guess it's another 6+week wait for payment.  The wheels of government/officialdom move very slowly!  The wheels of the War Disablement Pension people move even slower.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £503/366...
    26.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JGB1955 said:
    I sent NS&I a bereavement claim form in respect of my father's Income Bond on 13 June.  Had their reply (dated 18 July) back today.
    They didn't require a copy of the will as I confirmed that I would be applying for probate.  Once that's obtained I guess it's another 6+week wait for payment.  The wheels of government/officialdom move very slowly!  The wheels of the War Disablement Pension people move even slower.
    There’s a global pandemic on and some offices are down on staff.
    i don’t know in NSIS case why staff can’t work from home, perhaps they weren’t set up to do that?
    everything is taking longer.
    afaik the delay at nsi is related to the pandemic (I’ve spoke to them).