Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» Deaths, Funerals & Probate

Late mum's stamps loose in a box - what to do with them?

New Post Advanced Search

Late mum's stamps loose in a box - what to do with them?

18 replies 1.1K views
May not be the right board for this, but what can I do with a a big box of stamps and a few medals? My mum had written on it 'stamps and medals - keep safe' so I assume there's some value but no idea if financial or sentimental. Grateful for any pointers - don't want to go through them individually as I know nothing about stamps, but also don't want to give away something valuable that she seemed to think was important. MTIA
Erratically money saving

Replies

• edited 20 July at 2:22PM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 July at 2:22PM
    May not be the right board for this, but what can I do with a a big box of stamps and a few medals? My mum had written on it 'stamps and medals - keep safe' so I assume there's some value but no idea if financial or sentimental. Grateful for any pointers - don't want to go through them individually as I know nothing about stamps, but also don't want to give away something valuable that she seemed to think was important. MTIA
    Try a bricks and mortar auction house, many give free valuations. However don’t be surprised if the things have little more than sentimental value, stamps have completely gone out of fashion and my own late Dad’s collection of around 20+ albums plus several boxes of unsorted items and first day covers was valued at around £50 -£80 before fees. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • GrumpelstiltskinGrumpelstiltskin Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The chance of finding a stamp or stamps that are worth anything is minute maybe 1 in 1 million.
    Medals can be different it's a how long is a piece of string situation.
    Do you have any local shops that sell medals coins etc? if so take the medals for them to look at and see what they say.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    29.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had the same - boxes of assorted coins, stamps and millions of cigarette cards.  Most are worth less than the material they're made of.  

Things like stamps and cigarette cards tend to be sold as a job lot for £30-40, the buyer picks out anything they like or need to complete a collection and then it gets sold on again.  
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Google to find which charities accept stamps and medals - that may be the best home for them.
  • JezRJezR Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If they are unused British decimal stamps use them on your letters.
  • FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went through a relatives coins and stamps - the coins made about £3000 on ebay, the stamps (which were much more difficult to value and condition was everything ) about £250 at auction. 
    I know that the local Oxfam take stamp albums and first day covers and coins - one of the volunteers values them and there seems to be an enthusiastic set of buyers. 
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Medals are worth looking closely at - they may have family names on them.  Also check for any hallmarks.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • gt568gt568 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are the medals?
    :silenced: Down with the signature fascists!!:naughty:
  • edited 20 July at 6:38PM
    carolinerunnercarolinerunner Forumite
    628 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 20 July at 6:38PM
    gt568 said:
    What are the medals?
    As well as I can describe them:
    a wreath shape with crossed swords and a crown on top, says Aug to Nov 1914, name of a soldier on reverse
    Crossed swords in a circle 'Old Contemptibles' Aug 5 to Nov 22 1914
    A wheel with banners - above says Ubique, below says Qua pas et gloria ducunt, crown on top

All the rest look mass produced so won't have any value I think

On inspection all the stamps are postmarked so no good there either I think
    Erratically money saving
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    gt568 said:
    What are the medals?
    As well as I can describe them:
    a wreath shape with crossed swords and a crown on top, says Aug to Nov 1914, name of a soldier on reverse
    Crossed swords in a circle 'Old Contemptibles' Aug 5 to Nov 22 1914
    A wheel with banners - above says Ubique, below says Qua pas et gloria ducunt, crown on top

All the rest look mass produced so won't have any value I think

On inspection all the stamps are postmarked so no good there either I think
    This? https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30110553

Worth seeing if any of the military museums would like them.