Adding a porch

Options
So I'm looking at adding a porch to my end of terrace house in south Wales. We're looking at something about 1.5 x 2.5 metres, with one solid rendered wall, one wall with a window, plus a UPVC door and a pitched roof. I've had real trouble getting hold of anyone to even discuss the job (I think I've contacted every single builder within a 50 mile radius!) and the only quote I've managed to get is for £7000, which seems a little high - I was expecting more in the region of £4000-5000. Are my expectations unrealistic or should I hold out for a few more quotes?

Comments

• greenface2
    greenface2 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Difficult to know the quote . Depending what you want doing . Roof / brickwork ect . contact a local double glazing company . they would be more interested in this maybe . good luck 

• ginger_chocolate
    Options
    Difficult to know the quote . Depending what you want doing . Roof / brickwork ect . contact a local double glazing company . they would be more interested in this maybe . good luck 

Not really sure how much more info I can give other than what was in my post. It will be more brickwork than window so I thought a builder would be more likely to be able to help - I didn't think double glazing companies would be able to build a wall.
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 22 August 2020 at 4:34PM
    Options
    I'd be asking a doubleglazing company in your position - and I think they expect to have to do porches as part of their job and they expect that those porches will possibly have a brick wall a few feet high on one or more of the "walls". So if they do partial height brick walls - then they would surely also be prepared to do a full height brick wall if required.

I'm going to be doing very much the same at some point and it's doubleglazing companies I shall be asking to give me quotes. So I'm surprised that a builder wouldn't save you wasting your time looking at them and say "We could do jobs like that - but we choose not to - as they are small jobs and we want to build whole houses if we can get that work instead". Whereas doubleglazing firms will be used to the idea a lot of their work will be only a small job - eg swopping one door or one window - all the way up to a large "swop all windows and exterior doors and add a huge conservatory" level of work.
  • ginger_chocolate
    Options
    I'd be asking a doubleglazing company in your position - and I think they expect to have to do porches as part of their job and they expect that those porches will possibly have a brick wall a few feet high on one or more of the "walls". So if they do partial height brick walls - then they would surely also be prepared to do a full height brick wall if required.

I'm going to be doing very much the same at some point and it's doubleglazing companies I shall be asking to give me quotes. So I'm surprised that a builder wouldn't save you wasting your time looking at them and say "We could do jobs like that - but we choose not to - as they are small jobs and we want to build whole houses if we can get that work instead". Whereas doubleglazing firms will be used to the idea a lot of their work will be only a small job - eg swopping one door or one window - all the way up to a large "swop all windows and exterior doors and add a huge conservatory" level of work.
    Thanks - this turned out to be really good advice. I managed to get someone from a double glazing company out to have a look and am waiting for them to get back to me with a quote in the next few days.
  • greenface2
    Options
    Ginger choc , How did it pan out . I own a double glazing company . We don't advertise as builders but we do base work and brickwork for conservatories / porches . I'm not touting for work just adding to my earlier comment that its a dg job rather than a builder . We do a lot of builders frames and they do the extensions or large bricked connys 
  • ginger_chocolate
    Options
    Hi - I got a quote from a double glazing company but it turned out to be for just over £6000 - so still considerably over what I was expecting to pay - after looking at estimates on the internet and people I've spoken to who've had similar work done in the past I'd budgeted for a maximum of £4500. So I've decided to rethink my plans for now. Thanks for the advice though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback