Council tax liability when moving house


i used to to be a single occupant in my house but have now sold it and am going through the conveyancing process. 

I have informed my council and even and even though I have now moved out they have removed the single occupancy discount and will continue to charge me until the selling process has completed. 

It it sounds a bit strange. Is this right or should I complain to get a refund?


  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Single Person Discount applies only if one person is occupying a dwelling. Not only does it not apply if more than one person is occupying, but also if no-one is occupying. So SPD is not applicable for an empty dwelling.
  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Just a slight clarification (semantics but important ones) - the discount can be applied only where there is residence (which is a higher bar to meet than just occupation).
    However, regardless, you are not resident and therefore the discount no longer applies. The council are correct.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals