Deceased Paying Bills what order from estate

Options
Hi, 
My sister passed, did not leave any will, and a fair bit of debt ( under £10,000 everything including the funeral )
I am trying to deal with all the bits and pieces. She was in a rented accommodation, was in Hospital from March till she passed in June. Owes money from bank, rent, utilities etc. My Parents was able to get a part payment from the funeral assistance, covers most not all of the cost.
Now I have been in touch with her Pension Provider and there is some money in there but nowhere near enough to cover everything.
I am assuming that if I can get the Pension Provider to release the money, then the first bit is for me to repay the Funeral Assistance, then pay the rest of the family who helped with Funeral costs.  But I cannot find if there is there any specific order of precedence of who gets the money or try and share part of it. Iv already advised most that there was no expected money from the estate and her landlord I can leave her flat furnished with stuff that would help rent it out again, though he has been great and relaxed about it.  The Mobile phone and broadband company just wrote it off immediately.
Im thinking its probably the following ish. Funeral Costs, Council Tax, Bank, Rent, Electric, Water
Any advice gratefully accepted
Abbie

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Her estate is insolvent, So you should not attempt to administer it. You should write to her creditors informing them that the estate is insolvent and that no one is administering it.

Funeral costs are the responsibility of whoever appointed the FD so you parents need to sort that detail. Her pension is not part of her estate so you hopefully that will cover those costs.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Im thinking its probably the following ish. Funeral Costs, Council Tax, Bank, Rent, Electric, Water

Abbie - sorry to hear of your sister's death. There is no 'pecking order' in which to pay expenses, other than funeral; all 'unsecured' creditors rank equally. As someone else has already said, if the estate is insolvent, which seems to be the case, don't try to pay anyone anything and don't do anything which could be construed as starting to administer/wind up her affairs. It's really tough advice to take, but doing nothing is your safest - and probably only sensible - option.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Her estate is insolvent, So you should not attempt to administer it. You should write to her creditors informing them that the estate is insolvent and that no one is administering it.

Funeral costs are the responsibility of whoever appointed the FD so you parents need to sort that detail. Her pension is not part of her estate so you hopefully that will cover those costs.
    That depends: payments from pensions are not USUALLY part of the estate, they are usually written 'in trust' to pass outside of the estate to the nominated beneficiary / beneficiaries. 

however, the cost of the funeral trumps everything else, so you're right to clear that first. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure