New Post Advanced Search

Opening a will

5 replies 501 views
I found my late brother's sealed will, in amongst his papers.  He had no partner or children. Whilst i was caring for him (during his final illness) he spoke of leaving his estate to his siblings, but he never mentioned the written will. (i can only assume that he had forgotten). 
My question is, Can i open the will by myself or does it have to be done in the presence of a solicitor? (i read online that only a executor can read it, but we don't know who he appointed)
Many thanks.

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open it.  If you want to have someone else present, that's up to you.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to open it to find out who his executors are.
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It makes sense to open the will in the presence of those that you believe will share in the estate.  It is not necessary, but prudent, just in case there is something in the content not as expected, or (worse) any text that is unclear, if hand-written.  Opening it in front of the others will prove you did not make alterations.
  • edited 17 July at 9:39PM
    74jax74jax Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 July at 9:39PM
    BlueJuly said:
    I found my late brother's sealed will, in amongst his papers.  He had no partner or children. Whilst i was caring for him (during his final illness) he spoke of leaving his estate to his siblings, but he never mentioned the written will. (i can only assume that he had forgotten). 
    My question is, Can i open the will by myself or does it have to be done in the presence of a solicitor? (i read online that only a executor can read it, but we don't know who he appointed)
    Many thanks.
    Are your parents around? Thankfully he made a will to reflection his wishes, without a will his estate won't necessarily reflect what he told you. I'd get the will opened ASAP. 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • BlueJulyBlueJuly Forumite
    10 posts
    First Post
    Thankyou so much