Can I use Polyfelt instead of garden fleece?

Hi all,
Ive got a roll of Tencate Polyfelt left leftover from a building job. ( https://www.tencategeo.eu/en/products/nonwoven-geotextiles/tencate-polyfelt-ts ) . Can I use this instead of garden fleece to keep butterflies off my veg!? It looks similar to garden fleece.
My concern is it will block out sun light.
Thanks

Replies

• twopennytwopenny Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I wouldn't. It looks very thick and I'd have though quite heavy. I've used netting and that's distorting growth on the big purple sprouting plants.
    I got acres of fleece from Poundland so not worth experimenting.
    I don't advise the netting now. I've anchored it all round, even put a double layer on and the cabbage whites still get in there. I have no idea how but they seem to be able to squeeze through the netting. I have to do a daily round of lifting it and wiping the eggs and catterpillars off the leaves. :/

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    dllive said:
    My concern is it will block out sun light.
    You have answered your own question. Seriously impeding photosynthesis isn't a great way to grow plants!
    It would make decentish temporary ground cover though, or go well for its proper purpose under paths etc.

• dllivedllive Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks. I will go to Poundland and have a look at some fleece close up. Ive seen pictures like these of fleece: https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/garden-fleece-30gsm-pid7516.html and it looks very very similar to my polyfelt. But when I see some fleece close-up I will probably see the difference.
    I can atleast use the polyfelt for mulching (double or triple the layer) or keeping plants/ground warm in the winter months I guess. Im very new to gardening so learning as I go! :)
  • edited 18 July 2020 at 7:15AM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 18 July 2020 at 7:15AM
    I'll admit, I didn't look at the technical specs, so don't know the thickness of this product, but it's designed for doing the same job as Terram and the unbranded fabric my builders' merchant sells and both of those would be far too thick.
  • dllivedllive Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Ill take a closer look at it later. If you can buy fleece from Poundland then Im probably better off just buying some. Its just when I was look at fleece online they were wanting £70+ for some! Im sure Poundland wont be charging that much! :)