Covid Redundancy Questions

Hi all.
My workplace had to close due to Covid, and is still not in a position to be able to reopen. I am currently furloughed, but I have been informally told by my employer that unless the situation changes, I am going to be made redundant when the furlough scheme winds down. Whether that will be August, September or October I currently don't know. There are a couple of points that have been mentioned that I want to challenge.

Firstly, they have said that they only need to give me 4 weeks notice of my redundancy, as this is what my contract states. Off the top of my head it is something along the lines of "we can terminate your employment for any reason at any time by giving you four weeks notice". However, I have been working there for several years, and it is my understanding that legally they have to give you a weeks notice (or PILON) for every year you have been employed. Is this correct, and would it override whatever the contract states?

Secondly, I previously worked there full time but I requested a change of position to one with part time hours, due to my personal circumstances at the time. There was no break from my employment, I left the full time position one day and returned the next day in the part time position. A few months later, I returned to my original full time position. I have been told that the amount of redunancy pay I will receive will be based on the amount of time I have worked since I resumed the full time position, not from when I originally began working there. Is this correct, or should it go from the original date I started?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The contract can offer you more then the legal entitlement but not less. So as you say a week for each year you have worked for the company for. Although as the scheme ends in October they have plenty of time to give you notice. 

For the second part redundancy is length of service so from when you started and if you are on a fixed wage now is based on that, if you are on a variable wage it is based on an average. 
  • Tyton01
    Tyton01 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi i may be about  to be made redundant as employer Wont pay contributions from aug 1st. But i was  wondering if the employée can pay them instead to make up the 80% so to stay furloughed untill schème ends  
    thanks
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No as that would be fraud. The scheme is to protect jobs if the company can't even afford to pay the small contribution then the job is basically gone anyway.
  • Thanks. As I expected then. I'll put it to them and see where we go.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback