Friends moving in

Options
Hi, 
Me and my husband are moving home. We are buying somewhere bigger, we need more space. We will have a morgage and We have 1 disabled child who is 10.
My question is, we have some friends who are desperate to save for a deposit so they can get on the property ladder themselves. We suggested they could move in with us so they could save on rent, therefore saving that each month towards their deposit.
They are a married couple with 2 children themselves. The house allows us all to have our own space etc.
They currently receive tax credits. We currently dont claim tax credits.
Could they move in and still claim tax credits? Or would them moving in void that claim? 
Would they take our income into account or would they still be able to claim as a couple. Maybe with our address being a ' 'care of ' address? 
We dont plan to take any money from them for rent, just a contribution towards the extra costs ie, food, water and electric only.
Also, if we needed to claim tax credits again, would this affect our claim? 

Thankyou in advance for your replies.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 July 2020 at 8:37PM
    Options
    You and they are separate benefit units.
    Them moving in with you does not affect their Tax Credits.
    You cannot claim Tax Credits if you are not already getting them. They are closed to new claims because Tax Credits have been replaced by Universal Credit. If you were to claim Universal Credit their presence would not affect your Universal Credit entitlement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • emma0802_2
    Options
    That's fantastic news, thankyou very much. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback