Octopus Tracker ?

Options
Dragonfly1
Dragonfly1 Posts: 120 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 14 July 2020 at 11:50PM in Energy
Apologises in advance. Old information within some other threads has confused me further.

If I swap from an alternative company to Octopus Energy, do I then contact them to ask to be put on the Tracker Tarriff? This was my plan, however I have now found a comment in another thread that they are not accepting applications for this tarriff.

Octopus Agile (No EV at home for GO) isn't that worthwhile for electricity only, as my energy bills are circa £1900/year with 2/3 of that on Gas, which is currently on So Energy's cheapest tariff (Where Gas is around 2.58p/unit). The standing charge isn't that important considering the amount of gas and electricity we get through.

Basically I think I've got myself confused! Most companies on price comparison sites don't really beat So Energy, except perhaps Igloo on another variable tariff system. I could take my Gas to a different company to the Electricity, but I'd probably prefer to keep everything within one company.

As I write this thread, I begin to wonder that I should instead go to Igloo; although I haven't really heard of them before and hope they aren't too small to disappear tomorrow.....

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2020 at 11:56PM
    Options
    2.58p/kWh?  Total rip off.  Get a quotation from Robin Hood for gas only.  You're wasting ££ by having dual fuel.
  • Dragonfly1
    Dragonfly1 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    2.58p/kWh?  Total rip off.  Get a quotation from Robin Hood for gas only.  You're wasting ££ by having dual fuel.
    Ebico / Robin Hood seem to have pretty terrible reviews , like OFTM ?
    Or is that not true?

Genuinely appreciate your advice.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    Options
    If I swap from an alternative company to Octopus Energy, do I then contact them to ask to be put on the Tracker Tarriff? This was my plan, however I have now found a comment in another thread that they are not accepting applications for this tarriff.
    If you go with that option then yes, you switch in on whatever tariff is available then request the move to the Tracker once you arrive.
    Not all of the telephone staff are as familiar with that tariff as they should be so don't be put off if you get a vague response at first.

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    Ebico / Robin Hood seem to have pretty terrible reviews , like OFTM ?
    Or is that not true?

Genuinely appreciate your advice.
    I haven't used either of them, but AFAIK they're not in the same league as the OFTM / Eco7 / Fischer companies and their poor reviews, ASA upheld complaints and a CAP warning.
    Ebico is a religious flavoured not-for-profit company that was going to be called the Equitable Billing Company, but shortened it because of the bad vibes from Equitable Life.  They use Robin Hood Energy, run by Nottingham City Council.
    Ebico gets a better 'Which?' rating than the loss making Robin Hood Energy, which seems to have slipped a bit and doesn't get a brilliant Citizens Advice rating.
    At the moment, it certainly looks  a good price for a fixed deal. You pays your money and you takes your chance !
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Octopus like emails and that way ypu also have a record of what was 'said'.  I would email them.
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2020 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Ebico are atrocious for customer service at the moment.  They are not answering telephone calls or emails. I think they must be a one man band operation. I would avoid them at all costs.
  • nadsat
    nadsat Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We've been an Octopus customer for 2 years and recently I asked for a switch to their tracker and they did it the same day. So just email and ask if you switch can they put you straight on the tracker. At present it's saving me £56 a month on the previous direct debit. 
  • UnclaimedEnergy
    Options
    Robin Hood has had to employ a 3rd party company to examine their position and decide strategically on the next steps.

With the recent news of Bristol Energy being put up for sale, it won't be surprising if they followed the same outcome.

With reviews/citizens advice ratings that bad, along with the pending sale of the customer bases, it's probably not worth the hassle of joining them to save a few £
  • dcb2019
    dcb2019 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    What was the switch over like from Octopus? I am looking to switch my energy.
  • dcb2019
    dcb2019 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry *switch over to Octopus.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business