Reached Pension Age, but worse off.

Options
Heres the jist of it, asking for my parents, mum just reached pension age -
Before = Dad get's £125 State pension + £140.20 Pension Credit = Household income £265.20
Now =  Dad get's £125 State pension + Mum's £143 State Pension, no more Pension Credit = Household income £268

So the money is about the same but by losing Pension Credit, they have lost dental care, TV license plus other benefits.
Am I missing something?
Mum was expecting better care reaching pension age not be worse off. 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 July 2020 at 7:02PM
    Options
    Not missing anything that I can see. Pension Credit was generous (in benefits terms) for mixed age couples and is no longer available for people becoming a mixed age couple.
    Are they claiming Council Tax Reduction (and Housing Benefit if applicable)?
    When you say mum was expecting better care do you mean she has a health condition and needs looking after?

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Solid_Bruce
    Solid_Bruce Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 July 2020 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Yes they were claiming full countil tax and housing benefits.  But now they have to recalculate because of the change of circumstances so we have to submit loads of documents which has been some hassle.
    Mum expected better care as in she basically expected more benefits for both to reach pension age, but so far it seems the money is the same, then theres the hassle of phone calls and submitting documents, and on top they lose the Pension Credit benefits.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 July 2020 at 7:37PM
    Options
    As I said Pension Credit was generous to mixed age couples. Based on the facts you have provided the situation seems correct.
    They could apply for the NHS Low Income Scheme.
    No way round having to pay for TV licence next month.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • andreaj1
    andreaj1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi 
    If you want to help your parents check that they are getting the right benefits you can always use one of the benefit calculators at https://www.entitledto.co.uk/ or https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou.  Regards  Andrea
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback