Laptop screen pixels stuck

Options
Belenus
Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

My laptop, an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro, has developed a screen fault.

A vertical row of pixels near the right hand side from the top to about 1/3 of the way down are stuck. They are mostly stuck on white but the top inch or so are stuck on black. See picture 1.

I have tried very gentle pressure on the area but that has made no difference.

While typing this the fault appears to have changed to all stuck on black. See picture 2.

I'm aware that there are programmes that might be able to fix this.

What are the best ones to try?

Thanks.

Thanks.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/V1LpmjL

A man walked into a car showroom.
He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
The man replied, “You have now mate".

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not convinced those are stuck.  You don't normally get a long line of stuck pixels like that.
    Try your laptop on another monitor - that laptop has HDMI, try it on your telly.  If the fault follows to the TV, you have an issue with the graphics on the laptop.  If the fault doesn't follow (ie you can't see this issue on the TV), its most certainly a faulty screen on the laptop.
  • The_Fat_Controller
    Options
    Does ACER supply any system checking utilities ?
    If so, run a graphics test.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2020 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies and suggestions.

Neil, the fault does not show when I connect the laptop to a TV so the fault lies within the screen or graphics card etc.

TFC, I can't find an Acer system checking utility so I will search for one on the web.

I have run Pixel Healer (rapidly changing flashes of different colours) over the affected area but that has made no difference.

A replacement screen costs about £60 to £80. I may splash out or I may just live with the minor flaw.

Thanks again.

A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    Its a screen issue.  If it was graphics card the fault would follow to the TV.  Pixel Healer/JScreenFix will do nothing for you when the fault is on the screen itself.
    Stuck pixels are normally identifiable when they stick at one particular colour.  If they're black then they're dead pixels.  An entirely different thing.  However the "fix" as in Jscreenfix is the same, assuming said pixel can be revived.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback