prisioner inheritance

Options
I have an uncle that is currently in prison for a hideous crime, I'm the executor of a will and he is a beneficiary. None of the family including me, want anything to do with him. I will carry out my duties as executor but...How does he get the money and items? If I put the items left to him in storage? Who would pay for it? Is it best handled by a Solicitor? TIA

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    In the first instance write to let him know. He may be able to nominate someone who will store the items for him . It may be possible for you to give him a reasonable timescale to arrange for the items to be collected and then advise that they will be stored at his expense (assuming that the funds he has been left are sufficient to cover storage costs) Do you know how long he has left to serve? 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • geraniums21
    Options
    Thank you for this info. He has about three years left. I was a bit reluctant to write and let him know but as I certainly don't want to talk to him, I guess it may have to be a letter. Storage costs could be covered by his share. Ive no idea who his solicitor is Nor do I have a bank account number for him. So complex.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for this info. He has about three years left. I was a bit reluctant to write and let him know but as I certainly don't want to talk to him, I guess it may have to be a letter. Storage costs could be covered by his share. Ive no idea who his solicitor is Nor do I have a bank account number for him. So complex.
    No more complex than anything else. You know where he is - just write saying this is the inheritence - and await instructions
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have an uncle that is currently in prison for a hideous crime, I'm the executor of a will and he is a beneficiary. None of the family including me, want anything to do with him. I will carry out my duties as executor but...How does he get the money and items? If I put the items left to him in storage? Who would pay for it? Is it best handled by a Solicitor? TIA
    I would ask the solicitor to handle this. An executor's duties only go so far! 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would agree re using a solicitor for this - will cost but will be worth it. Within families any sort of contact can be difficult sometimes
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Has he had a confiscation order made against him? If so, the executor needs to be aware that any inheritance could be confiscated, depending on the circumstances. Definitely one for a lawyer.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Brynsam said:
    Has he had a confiscation order made against him? If so, the executor needs to be aware that any inheritance could be confiscated, depending on the circumstances. Definitely one for a lawyer.
    Does an executor really need to be concerned about a beneficiary's personal circumstances? Unless you're suggesting that the uncle cannot inherit under the forfeiture rules, because he killed the testator.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    pphillips said:
    Brynsam said:
    Does an executor really need to be concerned about a beneficiary's personal circumstances? Unless you're suggesting that the uncle cannot inherit under the forfeiture rules, because he killed the testator.
    pphillips said:
    Brynsam said:
    They certainly do in the case of bankrupt beneficiaries.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pphillips said:
    Brynsam said:
    pphillips said:
    Brynsam said:
    They certainly do in the case of bankrupt beneficiaries.
    It seems that any bankruptcy may well have been discharged by now - if he's been in prison for years
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback