Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Due to complete this week - vendor dilly-dallying with access

New Post Advanced Search

Due to complete this week - vendor dilly-dallying with access

33 replies 3.3K views
Hi,
We are due to complete (same day exchange and completion) on a purchase this Thursday and had agreed on a final pre-completion visit to make sure the property has been cleared of personal possessions (it was vacant already but there were items stored in a few places including the loft) and that items specified in the contents and fittings list have been left behind.

However we've just heard from the EA that the vendor has had some health issues come up because of which she can't commit to allowing access prior to completion.

We aren't comfortable completing without a final visit and conveyed to the EA that completion will be delayed until we can arrange that.

The EA has suggested that we exchange this week and complete later. We specifically went for simultaneous exchange+completion upon the recommendation of our solicitor as it's chain free on both sides and to avoid any loss staying arising from last minute lender related issues.

My partner thinks we should just go ahead with the scheduled completion date anyways. I would like people's thoughts on any alternate course of action to take?

Replies

• WanderingpommWanderingpomm Forumite
    347 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Just go ahead 
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the vendor isn't well then it's unlikely she will be able to clear the loft.
    Complete as arranged
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • eidandeidand Forumite
    564 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I would not postpone completion because of that
  • jamielutz1987jamielutz1987 Forumite
    296 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. Looks like my partner's view is well supported! :)

Is ending up with no keys for locked windows a big/costly issue to solve?
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    32.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're seriously going to hold off on completion... because you can't check there's no rubbish in the loft...?

Listen to your partner. Stop blowing molehills into mountains.
  • eidandeidand Forumite
    564 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. Looks like my partner's view is well supported! :)

Is ending up with no keys for locked windows a big/costly issue to solve?
    that can always happen, shouldn't be very hard to take some pictures or get someone in and get some extra keys, it;s part of moving so no reason to delay
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    73.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If the property is vacant why would health issues stop you inspecting the property. The EA presumably has a set of keys. 
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton
  • jamielutz1987jamielutz1987 Forumite
    296 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    If the property is vacant why would health issues stop you inspecting the property. The EA presumably has a set of keys. 
    I don't know. The EA's exact words on the email were "the vendor cannot guarantee access prior to completion".