Jaja vs Aqua rewards

New Post Advanced Search

Jaja vs Aqua rewards

22 replies 422 views
MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
414 posts
100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
Been looking at the new upcoming Jaja card, as its the only new card we have had to look at in months if not years. Trying to work out its USP. I think it's just no foreign transaction fees? basically? Any reason I should get this card? I'm struggling to see how it might best the Aqua rewards card. But I could very well be missing something. Anyone know of why this Jaja card is better than the competition? 

Replies

• penners324penners324 Forumite
    489 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Aqua Reward Card isn't currently available to new customers. Jaja seem pretty selective at the moment with £40k minimum salary, Also appear to currently be a lot of issues with the app, no dd payments yet, etc etc
  • MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
    414 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I can see this card going the same way as Tandem (which demanded only the very best "perfect" credit history customers, and then were suprised that all their customers paid their bill in full every month and they were loosing money hand over fist by paying them rewards :D ).

If they are going to limit their customers to those with exceptional credit files and 40K+ salaries then they are very likely going against high level AMEX holders, and why would they want a card that offers much less than their Amex? As far as I can see the only USP Jaja has is fee free foreign transaction, which many many others cards offer without the stringent entry requirements. I would suspect most people on over 40k already have such a travel card no?

• jbrassyjbrassy Forumite
    31 posts
    10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Judging by their website, the main benefits of a Jaja card are no foreign transaction fees and no ATM withdrawal fees. This is fine, but can be bettered by the Barclaycard Rewards card which offers both these things plus 0.25% cashback on all purchases. Further, if you can't pay it off by direct debit as the poster above suggests, you may as well get the Barclaycard.

It's also true that the Aqua Rewards card is no longer available. This has a higher rate of cashback (0.5%) and also doesn't charge for foreign transactions. However, I think it charges interest and fees for ATM withdrawals. 

Therefore, unless you withdraw cash from an ATM, the Aqua is better. If you do withdraw cash from ATMs, the Barclaycard is probably better. The worst card out of the three is Jaja.
    414 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    jbrassy said:
    Judging by their website, the main benefits of a Jaja card are no foreign transaction fees and no ATM withdrawal fees. This is fine, but can be bettered by the Barclaycard Rewards card which offers both these things plus 0.25% cashback on all purchases. Further, if you can't pay it off by direct debit as the poster above suggests, you may as well get the Barclaycard.

It's also true that the Aqua Rewards card is no longer available. This has a higher rate of cashback (0.5%) and also doesn't charge for foreign transactions. However, I think it charges interest and fees for ATM withdrawals. 

Therefore, unless you withdraw cash from an ATM, the Aqua is better. If you do withdraw cash from ATMs, the Barclaycard is probably better. The worst card out of the three is Jaja.
    You are spot on. Which makes me wonder how they can afford to be "picky" when it comes to entry criteria? They don't have a compelling offer to attract those that exist in the wealth bucket that they want.
  • adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    197 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    jbrassy said:

You are spot on. Which makes me wonder how they can afford to be "picky" when it comes to entry criteria? They don't have a compelling offer to attract those that exist in the wealth bucket that they want.
    It’s probably to create a marketing of ‘prestige’ and build up its name, along with minimising potential risk I suppose at the moment.

As stated will probably all go to pot when they don’t get the numbers they need 
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaja do take on customers earning under £40k. The website is wrong in suggesting they don't.
    However, they are not issuing new Jaja branded  cards at the moment as they are concentrating on onboarding the Post Office/Bank of Ireland/AA customers from September
    Some of the new cards they will be issuing to these customers appear to support cashback/rewards

414 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    gt94sss2 said:
    Jaja do take on customers earning under £40k. The website is wrong in suggesting they don't.
    However, they are not issuing new Jaja branded  cards at the moment as they are concentrating on onboarding the Post Office/Bank of Ireland/AA customers from September
    Some of the new cards they will be issuing to these customers appear to support cashback/rewards

With respect, what credentials do you have that you should be belived over the companies own website? I'd be very suprised of such an error sitting there unfixed on their site. 
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know people who earn less than £40k who got cards despite it saying that on their website
  • adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    197 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    I’ve just been on the website & cant actually see anything about this 40k. I had to google to get an actual URL to the eligibility checker
    414 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    adamp87 said:
    I’ve just been on the website & cant actually see anything about this 40k. I had to google to get an actual URL to the eligibility checker
    https://jaja.co.uk/eligibility-criteria/