Buying an approved-used Honda Jazz - tips please

19 replies 531 views
2»

Replies

• fred246fred246 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We bought a car last month, they would not budge on price as the prices had already been reduced prior to or during lock down. 
    They bought my car 200 miles down the country so I could view (no obligation), paid for a new battery, serviced and MOT'd it and put £25 of fuel in. 
    When I test drove the car the previous listing was in the back and they had knocked off £1200 that I otherwise would have been unaware of. 
    All in I don't think I had a bad deal.
    Do you think they did actually service it? What evidence have you got?
  • edited 15 July at 3:53PM
    MercdriverMercdriver Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 3:53PM
    fred246 said:
    We bought a car last month, they would not budge on price as the prices had already been reduced prior to or during lock down. 
    They bought my car 200 miles down the country so I could view (no obligation), paid for a new battery, serviced and MOT'd it and put £25 of fuel in. 
    When I test drove the car the previous listing was in the back and they had knocked off £1200 that I otherwise would have been unaware of. 
    All in I don't think I had a bad deal.
    Do you think they did actually service it? What evidence have you got?
    Since you're the one that is always accusing garages and dealers of malpractice, it's up to you to evidence it, yet you never do.  

Care to name any actual dealers that do what you suggest?  [I would advise against it as that would be slander]
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a serious question. Salesmen will say anything to get a sale. Once you have agreed and signed that's it job done. I think a lot of salesmen then don't have the power to get it serviced. Obviously if you kick up a fight you might get it done. I was just wondering if the OP had a stamp or a receipt or any other 'evidence' that it had actually been done.
  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    699 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    fred246 said:
    It's a serious question. Salesmen will say anything to get a sale. Once you have agreed and signed that's it job done. I think a lot of salesmen then don't have the power to get it serviced. Obviously if you kick up a fight you might get it done. I was just wondering if the OP had a stamp or a receipt or any other 'evidence' that it had actually been done.
    Yes I have a stamp to say it was serviced, it was evident the the oil had been changed. And if I so wished I could have sat in the car park and watched as they serviced and MOT'd my car. 
    With Ford all the work that has been done including tyre changes are logged online as well as in my book. 
    I must say I find life too short to be so distrustful as you come across.
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    Yes I have a stamp to say it was serviced, it was evident the the oil had been changed. And if I so wished I could have sat in the car park and watched as they serviced and MOT'd my car. 
    With Ford all the work that has been done including tyre changes are logged online as well as in my book. 
    Ooh OK. It's amazing how many people don't check. The worst one is when they have a warranty that they are paying for monthly. If they don't get it serviced they can't claim on the warranty but they can't stop the monthly warranty payments.
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    around 2012-14, 6-8k 
    Any car 2012-14, 6-8k mileage is very low...

Hmmm, so that piece of paper wasn't left there on purpose so you'd see?  Whose to say that was ever the true "listing"
  • edited 15 July at 8:39PM
    jamielutz1987jamielutz1987 Forumite
    304 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 15 July at 8:39PM
    around 2012-14, 6-8k 
    Any car 2012-14, 6-8k mileage is very low...
     @Grumpy_chap 6-8k budget. Not too fussed about mileage, the range I've seen for 2012-14 registered approved used Jazzes are around 35k-70k mileage.

• Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realise the Honda's held their value that much.  Good thing as Mum got a Jazz so hopefully that will hold value very well.
  • MercdriverMercdriver Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    I shouldn't take what ANY of the Freds say too close to heart.  At least two of them have a vendetta against garages with zilch in the way of evidence.