New Post Advanced Search

Amex Charge Card

33 replies 524 views
notveryeducatednotveryeducated Forumite
123 posts
100 Posts Name Dropper
Dumb post but can't find much on google.

Is a charge card (if always paid on time and in full, I know you HAVE to pay it in full every month) beneficial to your credit history like a credit card?

Thinking of taking out an Amex Green Charge Card! 

Replies

• Highland76Highland76 Forumite
    396 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My Amex Green card shows up in the various credit reference agencies such as Experian, Equifax etc with a payment history, just like my other CCs. 
  • dr_adidas01dr_adidas01 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Is a charge card (if always paid on time and in full, I know you HAVE to pay it in full every month) beneficial to your credit history like a credit card?

Yes it shows up on your credit report just the same as my Credit Cards do on the CRA's

Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
    429 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Consider Amex Gold credit card as it is free for the first year, with much better rewards, then downgrade it to the green charge card before the year is up. 
  • bonkersbonkers1bonkersbonkers1 Forumite
    57 posts
    10 Posts
    I can't think of any reason why I would want a charge card over a credit card.
    Credit cards give you flexibility with repayments - Charge cards need to be repaid in full every month.
    You get no S75 cover with a Charge card (although chargebacks are available).
  • MalkytheheedMalkytheheed Forumite
    429 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Credit cards give you flexibility with repayments - Charge cards need to be repaid in full every month.
    And I cant see any reason I would want a credit card over a charge card. 
    Credit cards should also be paid, in full, every month.
    "flexibility" with payments = paying unescessary interest. 
  • D3xt3r5L4bD3xt3r5L4b Forumite
    992 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    The S.75 protection is the main thing.
    And you get 0% offers and BT's offers with credit cards that you don't with charge cards.
    992 posts
    ✭✭✭

Consider Amex Gold credit card as it is free for the first year, with much better rewards, then downgrade it to the green charge card before the year is up. 
    You can't downgrade from a credit card to a charge card with Amex - you have to close the account then open the new one (or vice versa).
    992 posts
    ✭✭✭

Amex Green isn't worth the £60 per year fee. You get nothing for it.
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    696 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    For AmEx in particular its generally because of their reward programme which enables you to convert points to any one of a host of airline's airmiles etc (as well as some other lower value options). Sure you can get a BA credit card and get a similar number of Avios but that doesn't help you much if a Virgin Atlantic or Air France have a more suitable flight.

Loss of S75 is certainly a consideration on higher value purchases but for day to day purchases etc overall reward can be more interesting than CCA rights
  • bonkersbonkers1bonkersbonkers1 Forumite
    57 posts
    10 Posts
    I'm about half way through a 20 month interest free purchase card deal. I spend on it, make at least the minimum payment and put the money that I have spent into a savings account. Admittedly I'm not getting much credit interest but I'm certainly not paying a penny in interest either.
    Which Charge card would let me do that?