New Post Advanced Search

Tenants in common

7 replies 180 views
Hi, I was hoping to get some clarity on a query about my parents property (that they live in) which is owned outright as tenants in common.  My parents both have Wills in place that state that in the event of their death, all assets will pass to the surviving spouse.

My question is, will a grant of probate be required for this property on the first death?

Hoping somebody can help!

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are leaving their share to each other, why not change the ownership to 'joint tenants'. 
    People usually own as tenants in common if they want to leave their share to someone other than their spouse. 
  • NikkimikkiNikkimikki Forumite
    11 posts
    First Post
    It would be a cost for them to do that just now and we just wanted to be aware of the implications of not changing it ie will probate be required on this asset.
  • NearlyoldNearlyold Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    What cost are you referring to?
  • NikkimikkiNikkimikki Forumite
    11 posts
    First Post
    The solicitors fees and any associated land registry fees.
  • NearlyoldNearlyold Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There are no land registry fees to pay & you can get a Trust Deed Template on line for £15 from places like The Legal Stop
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    34.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be a cost for them to do that just now and we just wanted to be aware of the implications of not changing it ie will probate be required on this asset.

See your other thread.

• getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    39.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I was hoping to get some clarity on a query about my parents property (that they live in) which is owned outright as tenants in common.  My parents both have Wills in place that state that in the event of their death, all assets will pass to the surviving spouse.

My question is, will a grant of probate be required for this property on the first death?

Hoping somebody can help!

NO, 

it does not matter if they are joint or TIC probate is not needed to deal with the property.