Weird card problem

Options
Got a new hsbc cc, it works with the pin and contactless, but in one particular garage self service machine after putting in pin, it says "PIN OK", but then says "NOT AUTHORISED". Hsbc said card was ok but sent a new one, and exactly the same thing happens. The machine is used by loads of other people and  the retailer says they are unaware of any problems. My only option seems to be close the HSBC account and continue using my capitalone cc, that works ok.
Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a problem with that particular machine.

Just use a different card there.
  • oxocubes
    oxocubes Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So your saying the retailer has a machine that does not accept hsbc cards, I don't think so.
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    oxocubes said:
    So your saying the retailer has a machine that does not accept hsbc cards, I don't think so.
    Have you tried another card? I think they were suggesting they could be an issue with the card not just HSBC but it’s possible 
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    When you say garage do you mean a pay at the pump facility at a petrol station? If so, am wondering if HSBC have sent you out a card that can't be used for offline transactions. 
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • oxocubes
    edited 11 July 2020 at 11:57PM
    Options
    20aday said:
    When you say garage do you mean a pay at the pump facility at a petrol station? If so, am wondering if HSBC have sent you out a card that can't be used for offline transactions. 
    Sounds feasible, but they know I have a problem and have replaced the original cc, and the problem remains.
    Edit; the old and new cc work fine everywhere else using pin or contactless.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    oxocubes said:
    No. I'm not saying that.
  • oxocubes
    Options
    Tommy Cooper said to his doctor "My arm hurts in three different places", his doctor said "Well, don't go to those places"
  • ceremony
    ceremony Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    oxocubes said:
    Got a new hsbc cc, it works with the pin and contactless, but in one particular garage self service machine after putting in pin, it says "PIN OK", but then says "NOT AUTHORISED". Hsbc said card was ok but sent a new one, and exactly the same thing happens. The machine is used by loads of other people and  the retailer says they are unaware of any problems. My only option seems to be close the HSBC account and continue using my capitalone cc, that works ok.
    Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on? 

Is there a feature to block certain types of purchases (gambling/alcohol) on your card? If so, could that particular store be erroneously classified as that type of transaction?
    It's also entirely possible that the machine in that shop just doesn't accept that card. My main card is a TSB card that works absolutely fine in every shop I visit except the Co-Op. The store acknowledges that their machine is "fussy". I rarely go there so I just try my best to remember to use a different card when I do.
    Start Debt Jun 2020 = £10,036 - Current £5,894 | #324 £1,000 Emergency Fund Member - £205
  • oxocubes
    Options
    ceremony said:
    It's also entirely possible that the machine in that shop just doesn't accept that card. My main card is a TSB card that works absolutely fine in every shop I visit except the Co-Op. The store acknowledges that their machine is "fussy". I rarely go there so I just try my best to remember to use a different card when I do.
    That seems to be a very similar problem, maybe I'll just start carrying two cards, but I would still like to know why it happens. I'm pretty sure HSBC (and all the other Banks) know exactly what causes the problem, but it is unfixable and to admit to a problem could undermine confidence in the banks systems and in electronic payments in general.
    In fact, this has reminded me of cc problem from the past, don't remember which bank. I bought petrol near Heathrow and when I got my statement, the purchase was shown twice. The other purchase was for a petrol station over 100 miles away, but exactly the same amount and time. I pointed out this was impossible but they insisted it was correct and sent me evidence of the correct purchase. I asked them to stop the nonsense as I was not disputing the correct purchase. This was met by silence, and the issue just drifted away.
    So Zx81' advice at 11.06pm was correct, what does he know that we don't know?? the plot thickens
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2020 at 3:00PM
    Options
    I seem to remember a similar problem with MBNA ? cards at Asda pay at pump a few years ago.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback