Engine temperature gauge off the scale

Options
Hi just drove on motorway and engine temperature warning came up and beeped. I'm not near home and garages close early. What shall I do/check when I make the 35 min drive home in an hour? Or shall I call breakdown recovery? Blowers are blowing cold, so not sure if a sensor issue as a while back the gauge was normal but the outside temperature kept reading - 38. It's a petrol fiesta.

Comments

• The_Rainmaker
    The_Rainmaker Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 July 2020 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Get some water into the system and try and carry some spare.  If you haven't got any or can't get any call the breakdown folk.

• monaymadlol
    monaymadlol Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've got 500 ml bottles water, shall I put into coolant tank?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check the coolant level, and for leaks. If it is an ecoboost and that warning comes on, it is on the verge of needing a new engine if you don't stop immediately. (Well any engine will be really, but the ecoboosts are well known for this)

If the coolant level is fine, and the light isn't on, try driving it, but if the light comes on again stop and call your breakdown provider.

The heater blowing cold, when on cold, means nothing as it simply doesn't blow air through the heated core.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • monaymadlol
    Options
    Engine temperature is off the scale hot I meant.Its not an eco boost, but an 13 year old petrol. Will check coolant now. 

• monaymadlol
    Options
    Coolant looks low/empty. Must be leak? Going to top up with water abs then buy anti freeze later. Can I just put anti freeze in later with the water? May not be able to get to garage til thu, is this OK if I keep topping up?
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe your water pump is giving up. 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    I think anti-freeze is the least of your problems...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2020 at 4:52PM
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with antifreeze, just top it up with water and see how it goes, run it for a while and look for any leaks.  Keep the bottles and fill them up with tap water and keep in the boot for your journey.  If you see the gauge rise much above normal then stop for a while, let it cool and check the level.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Options
    Fiestas blow water out of the header tank, it distorts and cracks over time, so common that motor factors sell new ones for about £15.   Loads on eBay for £10+
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • monaymadlol
    Options
    I've added around 2 litres water, bringing it to just over minimum level. Temperature back to normal now. Have already bought ready mixed coolant, but haven't used it yet. Will see how it goes.
    Header tank? Cracks? What's that?
    Do I look for leaks under bonnet or just monitor levels in the tank?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback