been made redundant

hi,  found out a few days ago i am been made redundant.  i have 9 weeks notice money taking me up to 9th september and then i will recieve my redundancy pay.
If i were to start a new job now, would i then be classed as leaving my job and loose my notice money and redundancy payment.
or should i wait til after 9th september before starting a new job.
Thanks.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,439
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you received formal notice of redundancy?

If so what is your final date of employment? If it is 9 September are you required to work your notice or will/have you been put on "gardening leave" ?

If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • no. i am not working my notice.  Thanks
  • lincroft1710
    Forumite
    If your employer learns you have another job lined up, then unless you have issued a Counter Notice, there is nothing to stop your employer cancelling your redundancy and demanding you return to work. If you refuse they can then dismiss you on grounds of gross misconduct, but it would be better if you resigned. Either way you would lose any redundancy pay.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • looks like sitting at home for 2 months before job hunting then.  thanks
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,649
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I would start job hunting now. You know you’re leaving on the 9th September so if you get a new job your start date is the 12th September. 

Most people who apply for jobs are working so companies are used to wait for someone to finish their notice period. If your current company finds out you have another job lined up they’re not going to cancel your redundancy as they won’t really care. If they do cancel it then you go back and the clock resets to another 9 weeks if they decide to make you redundant again. 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Another option would be to discuss it with your current employer. They may let you finish early. If they agree you are still entitled to redundancy pay but they can save money by stop paying you your notice. Which if you have a new job to go to does not matter to you.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/redundancy/redundancy-notice-period/

• thanks.  will try and have a word with my employer next week

• lincroft1710
    Forumite
    JReacher1 said:
    If your current company finds out you have another job lined up they’re not going to cancel your redundancy as they won’t really care. 
    If they cancel the redundancy then they don't have to pay redundancy money
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,649
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    JReacher1 said:
    If your current company finds out you have another job lined up they’re not going to cancel your redundancy as they won’t really care. 
    Yes that’s true but then the OP has his job still so it won’t be a problem for him. 

You seem to be suggesting that the company making the OP redundant would think it a good idea to cancel the redundancy if the OP got a job somewhere else. If they did that then the OP could just go back to work and then the company would be in the same situation as before e.g with someone working in a position that was redundant. If they then decided to make the OP redundant again the 9 weeks notice period would kick in again and cost them more money to make the OP redundant. 

It would be a farcical situation that makes no sense for anyone. 
  • lincroft1710
    Forumite
    edited 13 July 2020 at 2:39PM
    JReacher1 said:
    JReacher1 said:
    Yes that’s true but then the OP has his job still so it won’t be a problem for him. 

You seem to be suggesting that the company making the OP redundant would think it a good idea to cancel the redundancy if the OP got a job somewhere else. If they did that then the OP could just go back to work and then the company would be in the same situation as before e.g with someone working in a position that was redundant. If they then decided to make the OP redundant again the 9 weeks notice period would kick in again and cost them more money to make the OP redundant. 

It would be a farcical situation that makes no sense for anyone. 
    You are missing the point. If the OP has another job which he wants to go to, then even if his redundancy is cancelled, he won't want to stay with the current employer. Especially if appears he would probably be made redundant again and have to look for another job yet again.

If I had a job lined up, I would want to leave the current employer asap, because it would be fairly obvious that despite cancelling the redundancy, my future there would be very uncertain and finding another new job would be harder.

But the obvious way to avoid your redundancy being cancelled is to issue a Counter Notice

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback