Forum Home» Local MoneySaving

Gumtree Purchase and Paypal

New Post Advanced Search

Gumtree Purchase and Paypal

2 replies 30 views
Hi Yes I am one of those who have paid for something off Gumtree and paid via my paylpal balance via friends and familyl.  Obvs the apple watch hasn't turned up and now the refund I asked for from the seller hasn't. 
After lots of excuses for why the watch hadnt arrived and delaying, I then was faced with why the refund hadn't come through. 
I guess getting my money back isn't likely but wanted to know if anyone had any advice (apart from not to use friends and family)
Thank you in advance

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, no advice at all I’m afraid. PayPal are very clear about the dangers of friends and family payments and by going ahead you were agreeing that you Understood  the risks. At one point it used to be worth contacting PayPal to see if they would make any sort of goodwill gesture re refunding, but the warnings are now so common that I haven’t come across a successful goodwill payment request now for some time. 

Sorry but your money is lost. 

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • EmmaMellingEmmaMelling Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    Thank you, yes thats what I suspected.  Taught me a valuable lesson.  I never even knew about the dangers, I do now!