New Post Advanced Search

Student Emergency Fund

2 replies 54 views
Jay_PMGJay_PMG Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
My daughter is off to uni soon and I was thinking of giving her a prepaid Visa/MasterCard topped up with a few hundred pounds to use incase of emergencies. I trust her implicitly, and know for certain that this will not be frittered away on general day to day spending. 
However, I have heard bad reviews about these cards, and so I am looking for a way I can give her this money safely, and preferably in the form of a card in her name so that she has easy access if she needs to use it. I don't want to pay it into one of her own bank accounts as she doesn't know I'm going to give it to her just yet. 

Replies

• sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you not transfer the money to her bank account once you have told her you are giving it to her?
    My husband  was given one to cover expenses for a project he was on. Unfortunately, the number on it could not be read and he had to wait for a new card to be issued . Meanwhile he had to ask others to pay for his meals etc as the place they were staying only took these cards.  
  • Jay_PMGJay_PMG Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    sheramber said:
    Can you not transfer the money to her bank account once you have told her you are giving it to her?
    My husband  was given one to cover expenses for a project he was on. Unfortunately, the number on it could not be read and he had to wait for a new card to be issued . Meanwhile he had to ask others to pay for his meals etc as the place they were staying only took these cards.  
    I didn't want her to keep it in her bank account. I wanted it to be a separate thing that can only be used in case of an emergency.