Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Just testing the water, Would you be offended if I knocked on your door - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Just testing the water, Would you be offended if I knocked on your door

23 replies 2K views
13»

Replies

• Gloria_SteethGloria_Steeth Forumite
    698 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We have a large-ish rosemary shrub in our front garden and some time ago I was working in the garden when a random couple parked their car in front of our house to go to the local tearoom and asked me if they could have a sprig or two of the rosemary. I agreed but meant it as a one-off. Didn't know they were going to take that as permission to help themselves every time they were in the neighbourhood (and didn't even bring us back so much as a biscuit from the tearoom!). The tearoom closed last year and, glad to say, I haven't seen them since but it's made me once-bitten, twice-shy and I wouldn't be happy about a similar request.

I agree with the asking on Facebook suggestion as that way no-one feels put on the spot.

Or maybe a florist could source some dried hydrangeas for you?
  • wortwort Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    M and S have 3 stems of fresh hydrangea for £8. At the moment which you could dry yourself?? 
    You mentioned colour, but they will be brown when dried. I personally wouldn't like someone knocking at the door. Also as someone else said would feel obliged to give them if asked but wouldn't really want to, especially whilst in full bloom, or if the bush is quite small. Maybe more inclined as the blooms are faded and going over. But some gardeners leave these on over winter and prune back in spring.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I,d be offended.  I don,t put a huge amount of effort into my garden just for strangers to come along and ask I'd they can help themselves free of charge !