New Post Advanced Search

Cruise booking

3 replies 184 views
SheJoSheJo Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
My daughter and I booked a cruise for this year which obviously is not going ahead now. We have been able to transfer our booking to next year and our deposit is secure. As the government have just announced a reduction of VAT on holidays would we be able to pay off the balance early with the reduced VAT rate? Therefore saving a few hundred pounds.

Replies

• edited 10 July at 9:42AM
    NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10 July at 9:42AM
    Why not ask the cruise line ?
    Update - from the little I saw in the media I believe the VAT reduction is only for domestic holidays. So unless your departure port and ports of call are all within the UK then normal VAT applies - could be wrong of course, that's why you should call your cruise line.
  • SheJoSheJo Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Why not ask the cruise line ?
    Update - from the little I saw in the media I believe the VAT reduction is only for domestic holidays. So unless your departure port and ports of call are all within the UK then normal VAT applies - could be wrong of course, that's why you should call your cruise line.

We do depart from Southampton. Thank you for your comment.
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The VAT reduction is not going to make any difference whatsoever. The reduction in VAT is for domestic hotels restaurants and bars, and even if applied to overseas travel (the whole purpose is to stimulate demand in the UK) there is only VAT on the profit margin of a holiday in the EU, not on the total price, so in truth very little!