UNABLE TO DELETE OR MOVE FOLDERS IN FIREFOX

Options
Just trying to tidy up my bookmarks for the first time in Firefox on Windows 10 and find that although I can delete bookmarks by a complicated route and not just right click and delete but am also unable to delete folders at all.
Unable to drag bookmarks also.
I am not signed in or have an account with Mozilla mainly because I'm not interested in synching across devices - could this be the reason why ?
Any suggestions gratefully received.I've tried all the online suggestions.
Thanks.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What complicated route have you found?
    Start Firefox in (its own) safe mode - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-extensions-themes-to-fix-problems - this will disable the extensions.  See if you can organise your bookmarks then.
    If so, an extension is the problem.
    If not, may be a profile issue - create a new one - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles - and set up a few dummy bookmarks.  See if you can delete and organise those.  If so, your original profile has an issue.

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Delete through windows explore  c/ Users/Roaming / mozilla .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What complicated route have you found?
    Start Firefox in (its own) safe mode - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-extensions-themes-to-fix-problems - this will disable the extensions.  See if you can organise your bookmarks then.
    If so, an extension is the problem.
    If not, may be a profile issue - create a new one - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles - and set up a few dummy bookmarks.  See if you can delete and organise those.  If so, your original profile has an issue.

Hi Neil,
    Thanks for that.
    My mistake for the complicated route - what I meant was that instead of just simply right clicking on a bookmark and deleting it I had to go through a more complicated of way of going into see all bookmarks,unstarring then deleting the bookmark.
    But I can't find a way to delete the Bookmark Folders.
    I'm not sure I ever created a profile for Firefox and just went ahead and used it after downloading it.

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2020 at 4:04PM
    Options
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks for that.
    My mistake for the complicated route - what I meant was that instead of just simply right clicking on a bookmark and deleting it I had to go through a more complicated of way of going into see all bookmarks,unstarring then deleting the bookmark.
    I'm not sure I ever created a profile for Firefox and just went ahead and used it after downloading it.

Under normal circumstances you can just right-click on the folder and delete from the pop-up menu.
    Firefox doesn't work without a profile so if you didn't have one when you installed it (which is pretty much granted, really), it would have just made one for you.  You can see it by opening Help -> Troubleshooting Information.   Look at the Profile Folder line which is usually C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random characters>
    (this Trobleshooting Information section will give you access I notice to Safe Mode and to refresh Firefox which may fix your issue.  Worth a try, if it doesn't work it doesn't work).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks for that.

Under normal circumstances you can just right-click on the folder and delete from the pop-up menu.
    Firefox doesn't work without a profile so if you didn't have one when you installed it (which is pretty much granted, really), it would have just made one for you.  You can see it by opening Help -> Troubleshooting Information.   Look at the Profile Folder line which is usually C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random characters>
    (this Trobleshooting Information section will give you access I notice to Safe Mode and to refresh Firefox which may fix your issue.  Worth a try, if it doesn't work it doesn't work).
    Thanks once again.
    It was indeed able to work in Safe Mode.However I tested the only two add-ons I had running and it worked with them on and off.And then when I went back into normal Firefox mode the problem appears to have righted itself.Just a temporary glitch.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback