Supermarket Scan and Go Checks

Don't know if anybody has noticed this but since going BR in May we have been selected for a security check every time we used a Scan and go facility in Asda/Tesco/Sainsbury but only main sites not local.Before I went BR I had no problem.Any thoughts peeps
Mark B

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Coincidence, shops are aware a lot of people have financial issues due to Covid and some may be tempted to add some extras to their shopping and not pay for it.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Mark_b
    Mark_b Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes but it feels like we are being picked out.We find being humiliated every time we use scan and go type tills a bit upsetting to say the least.Also because of virus precautions having some employee up to their armpits in our shopping very concerning.I have asked a number of times why are you doing this and they say it is only random checks.Next time we get stopped I will make sure the store Manager is called and I will make a very Public complaint and walk out leaving the shopping.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    All that will result in is you not having any shopping.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Mark_b said:
    Yes but it feels like we are being picked out.We find being humiliated every time we use scan and go type tills a bit upsetting to say the least.Also because of virus precautions having some employee up to their armpits in our shopping very concerning.I have asked a number of times why are you doing this and they say it is only random checks.Next time we get stopped I will make sure the store Manager is called and I will make a very Public complaint and walk out leaving the shopping.
    Then you'll be really humiliated!  If you feel so strongly about it stop using Scan and Go!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • How would the supermarket even know you were bankrupt? 
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Which shop is it?  I had an issue with one and it was because they were not putting the re-scan through correctly, but instead were putting it through as a new shop - so it kept flagging up on their system
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2020 at 8:35PM
    Mark_b said:
    Its a coincidence, an unfortunate one I admit.
    The retailer has no idea of your financial situation unless you wear a t short with it emblazoned on it.
    And what would you like the store manager to say ?
    If you find it humiliating then why are you A using the service B why are you not using the internet to order your shopping.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am not bankrupt and have never been bankrupt yet in the past two weeks I have had a full trolley scan check at Asda (which took ages as I had packed as I went along) closely followed by a random 5 item Scan check in Tesco. I have no idea why I was randomly picked on 2 occasions and also several times in the past. The local Tesco extra seem to get a lot of random checks, I don’t go in very often but more times than not when I use the scan as you go system there is someone having a scan check. 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mark_b
    Mark_b Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2020 at 10:46PM
    This is not one Supermarket it has happened every time we have used the three main Supermarkets in the last month.Also due to social distancing it helps by getting through quicker and less risk of picking up COVID.As to your questions about why we are using the service I have already covered that in the last sentence and your comment asking why don’t we use the Internet for shopping we do.But just think that being checked every time is a bit strong and is not nice standing there having our trolly searched with no evidence of doing anything wrong.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mark_b said:
    But just think that being checked every time is a bit strong and is not nice standing there having our trolly searched with no evidence of doing anything wrong.
    People steal. In difficult financial times even more so. A minor inconvenience to be spot checked when compared to having shopping processed by a till operator. If you don't like it the option to change to another method is available. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback