PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New stamp duty

I am in the process of buying my first property but I am purchasing on a buy to let as I am not ready to move in yet. I have never owned a property before. The price I am paying is £295000.

Under the pre 8th July stamp duty rates the stamp duty worked out to be £4750 but not now it looks like I will have to pay more.

I am hoping someone will tell me i’m wrong. If not then this is just so typical of the conservative government.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mmamunn said:
    I am hoping someone will tell me i’m wrong. If not then this is just so typical of the conservative government.
    Ok then, you're wrong. Why did you think you'd have to pay more (or indeed anything)?
    SDLT calculator is here (which takes account of yesterday's changes):
    https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calculate-stamp-duty-land-tax/#/intro
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good job Labour wernt in charge then.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mmamunn said:
    Yes, you are wrong, everyone buying from 8th July will pay less stamp duty.
    So the conservative government has done you a massive favour and most sane, rational people are just thankful that the Great British Public told Corbyn and the Labour party what little they thought of them in the last election; I shudder at how much worse things would be had Labour been in charge these last few months.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Mmamunn said:
    Yes, you are wrong, everyone buying from 8th July will pay less stamp duty.
    So the conservative government has done you a massive favour and most sane, rational people are just thankful that the Great British Public told Corbyn and the Labour party what little they thought of them in the last election; I shudder at how much worse things would be had Labour been in charge these last few months.
    don't even say that ..... it makes me sick just thinking about it.
  • Mmamunn
    Mmamunn Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As someone who hasn’t owned a property before and purchasing a buy to let i would’ve had to pay the home movers rate, correct?

Price £295k
     0% up to £125k, 2% between £125k - £250k and 5% anything over £250k equals £4750
    Now i have to pay 3% on the total price of the property which comes to £8850

• MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Mmamunn said:
    Now i have to pay 3% on the total price of the property which comes to £8850
    No, the 3% higher rate is for "additional properties"; you do not own a property at the moment so will not pay anything.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • davidmcn
    Mmamunn said:
    Now i have to pay 3% on the total price of the property
    As asked above, where are you getting your (mis)information from? I've given you the link to the HMRC calculator which will give you the correct answer.
  • I’ve just completed on a property of 525k not my first home and paid 32k stamp duty. This hasn’t been paid by solicitor yet so would I qualify for new rule announced by chancellor? It’s a pain as I brought completion date forward to suit the vendor. Thanks
  • davidmcn
    edited 9 July 2020 at 11:27AM
    praduman said:
    I’ve just completed on a property of 525k not my first home and paid 32k stamp duty. This hasn’t been paid by solicitor yet so would I qualify for new rule announced by chancellor?
    It's the completion date which matters, so what do you mean by "just completed"? Unless it's today or yesterday, the answer is no.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
     I shudder at how much worse things would be had Labour been in charge these last few months.
    Out splashing the cash, do you mean?  It seems that the magic money tree is fruiting vigorously at the moment.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback