Replacing Range Cooker (70cm) with built-in oven.

Hi All,
Our current 12+ year old range cooker is on its way out, so we looking at buying a replacement. The problem we have is that it measures at 700mm wide and most range cookers we are seeing are 900mm and standard cookers at 600mm and 500mm. 

We would like to have a 600mm built in oven, new work top and hob in places of the cooker but the issue is the 700mm space. Just wondering if this is feasible to get a built-in base unit that can fit the 700mm gap but hold a 600mm oven?
Image below of the area.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You will need the housing for the new oven, is it easy to match with what you have? 

If I were replacing oven, hob and worktop in that configuration I would move one of the units so the 100mm space was elsewhere and use it as tray/tea towel/foil/cling film storage. 

Pics courtesy of google

• T3RRY
    T3RRY Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It will be somewhat easy to match the colour of the units as they are painted in grey. Being the shaker door style don't think it would be hard to find too.

Moving the 100mm gap elsewhere would also mean moving the wall units as the gap for the hood is would be bigger than the base. We like the idea of the tray slot, never thought of it - thanks

We thinking maybe the 100mm on the left-hand side of the drawers and them bigger wall unit on the left of the cooker to reduce the gap, or maybe a spice rack.

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Agree with above though would use trim to blank off 10cm space as these nooks in my opinion always gather dust.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'd go for a 600mm oven housing and fit 50mm filler strips either side - These could be plain or fancy carved affairs - The extra distance between the oven and cabinet doors would protect them from the heat and wouldn't look out of place.
    Putting in a 100mm wide "nook" would give you a storage space of around 60mm wide - Barely big enough for a couple of baking trays, but certainly big enough to be a dust trap and a pain to keep clean.

If you are thinking of putting an electric oven (and/or hob) in, are the electrics already in place ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    T3RRY said:
    Hi All,
    Our current 12+ year old range cooker is on its way out, so we looking at buying a replacement. The problem we have is that it measures at 700mm wide and most range cookers we are seeing are 900mm and standard cookers at 600mm and 500mm. 

We would like to have a 600mm built in oven, new work top and hob in places of the cooker but the issue is the 700mm space. Just wondering if this is feasible to get a built-in base unit that can fit the 700mm gap but hold a 600mm oven?
    Image below of the area.

Why not just put in a 70cm built in oven new worktop and induction hob?

https://www.belling.co.uk/products/cooking/built-in-ovens/
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • T3RRY
    T3RRY Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    FreeBear said:
    I'd go for a 600mm oven housing and fit 50mm filler strips either side - These could be plain or fancy carved affairs - The extra distance between the oven and cabinet doors would protect them from the heat and wouldn't look out of place.
    Putting in a 100mm wide "nook" would give you a storage space of around 60mm wide - Barely big enough for a couple of baking trays, but certainly big enough to be a dust trap and a pain to keep clean.

If you are thinking of putting an electric oven (and/or hob) in, are the electrics already in place ?
    Fair point on the usable space being only 60mm. That would be a pain indeed to keep clean. Plus I don't think we have anything other than chopping boards that could use such a space.

The current cooker is dual fuel. It has an electric oven on a13amp plug and 5 gas hobs. So I reckon it will be a simple plug and play by a qualified gas and electric engineer.

Hasbeen said:
    Why not just put in a 70cm built in oven new worktop and induction hob?

https://www.belling.co.uk/products/cooking/built-in-ovens/
    Can't seem to find a oven housing for a 70cm one, plus we had ours eyes on a certain oven and hob. As 60cm seem to be common, we would like to prevent having to go through the pain of finding a 70cm unit in future, as they seem to be a limited range in that measurement.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback