Forum Home» Credit Cards

My Business Barclaycard appearing in personal Barclaycard App -- is this normal?

New Post Advanced Search

My Business Barclaycard appearing in personal Barclaycard App -- is this normal?

6 replies 141 views
s12cs12c Forumite
3 posts
First Post First Anniversary
Hi Guys, 

So I recently logged into my Barclaycard app and I noticed that two tabs now appear at the top-  one for business and one for personal. 

I work for a big University and they recently issued me with a corporate purchasing card. I did not think this card was connected to my personal finances in any way,  and therefore did not expect it to be included in the app. can someone please confirm if they have had the same situation?  I have tried contacting the person who  administers purchasing cards,  and they said that they have not heard this before.

Any ideas?

Replies

• george9071george9071 Forumite
    118 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I have seen this before but you usually have to ask Barclays to link both personal and business accounts, if your worried about this then i would contact Barclays and ask them to separate these not sure if they can do this but no harm in asking.
  • etiennegetienneg Forumite
    228 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Did you read the T&Cs before accepting the card? (This is a genuine question, not a facetious comment in disguise!) It's quite a long time since I had such a card (before mobile phones and apps), so things may have changed. But I remember that , although the card had my employer's name on it, I was legally liable to pay for spending on my card. Of course, normally my employer would pay the bill, but in case of default I would have to pay for what I had spent. If there's anything such as this in your case, then I would expect the card to show along with your personal finances. Maybe it's nothing like that, but it's worth checking so you are absolutely certain of your liability (if any).
  • 1931modela1931modela Forumite
    66 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I work for an FE college and have a Corp GPC Barclaycard and have just checked my online app to find that it has also been linked to my own personel Barclaycard, it was not there last month and I have had the card for nearly 2 years now
  • s12cs12c Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    etienneg said:
    Did you read the T&Cs before accepting the card? (This is a genuine question, not a facetious comment in disguise!) It's quite a long time since I had such a card (before mobile phones and apps), so things may have changed. But I remember that , although the card had my employer's name on it, I was legally liable to pay for spending on my card. Of course, normally my employer would pay the bill, but in case of default I would have to pay for what I had spent. If there's anything such as this in your case, then I would expect the card to show along with your personal finances. Maybe it's nothing like that, but it's worth checking so you are absolutely certain of your liability (if any).

Hi thanks for your response.  The card in question says my name on the front,  then underneath it says the name of the University I work for. I don't  think they conducted any credit checks on me because I don't think I would have qualified for the card as  I already have 5 credit cards.  In addition when I read the document of the purchasing card manager sent to me,  it didn't mention any personal liability  other than for purchases  which  were  personal in nature and charged to the card by accident.   But haven't reviewed the  actual terms and conditions of  the card itself.
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think linking personal and business accounts is normal for people with their own Ltd Co or sole-trader business and it makes sense in that case. 
    I am not sure that it makes sense to link a corporate or business account with personal account.  Certainly, when I had a business Barclaycard it did not show in my online accounts.  If it did, I have two big questions on that:
    1. Does the accounts being "linked" have any impact on personal "credit rating" files?
    2. If I could see the company account, does it mean the company can also see my account?
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    652 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I think there are two separate issues here... a business card can result in you having a personal liability for the spend but that is independent to if it appears on online banking or not.

I know with Barclays and AmEx I can add (or they do it for me automatically) cards and account to which I have access to my online banking even when I have no personal liability. For the web app Barclays had tabs for Business and Person but for the iPhone app they appeared on the same screen. For years after losing access to the Barclays business account I still had the Business tab but nothing listed under it.

I suspect this varies not only by bank but by product held. My wife can see her card that she holds on my account on her AmEx log in (plus the cards she holds in her own name) but the same doesn't apply for our Barclaycards