NS&I - Getting past login - not.

Options
New investors, be warned. Make sure you type your phone number in correctly during registration.
I left the leading zero in by mistake..
Part of the logging in process is a call back to your phone number. If it fails, you have to ring them.
Expect a wait in excess of 30 minutes to get through. They will then post you a temporary password.
I would have thought that this could have been handled online....................

Comments

• barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You made a mistake and they sorted it out for you,
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The OP provides a useful warning to others opening NS&I accounts and should be thanked for that.

Formatting of telephone numbers on web forms is inconsistent, with some sites wrongly requiring both the +44 prefix and the leading zero.  NS&I's form should have rejected the leading zero.  The problem is poor data vetting on the part of NS&I.
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Vortigern said:
    The OP provides a useful warning to others opening NS&I accounts and should be thanked for that.

Formatting of telephone numbers on web forms is inconsistent, with some sites wrongly requiring both the +44 prefix and the leading zero.  NS&I's form should have rejected the leading zero.  The problem is poor data vetting on the part of NS&I.
    How about paying attention or double checking the form to ensure that numbers are correct.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Socajam said:
    Vortigern said:

How about paying attention or double checking the form to ensure that numbers are correct.
    The Admin Police are out in force today!

• sairy.gamp
    sairy.gamp Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whitemonk said:
    New investors, be warned. Make sure you type your phone number in correctly during registration.
    I left the leading zero in by mistake..
    Part of the logging in process is a call back to your phone number. If it fails, you have to ring them.
    Expect a wait in excess of 30 minutes to get through. They will then post you a temporary password.
    I would have thought that this could have been handled online....................
    Thanks for the warning. Noted with thanks.
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Poor webdesign by NS&I.
    As all UK landline and mobile numbers have a leading zero, they should either accept it and filter it out behind the scenes or reject it when entered!
    Sympathies to the OP!
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • happy_hazelnuts
    Options
    basic webdesign 101 - check for or adjust data input to expected format
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ... it's in the later courses they teach people to demand a ZIP code where you are not in the USA, require a mobile phone number where people don't have one, or require you to fill in the "mandatory field marked with *" when it's missing, or actually already filled in.
  • happy_hazelnuts
    Options
    And you have to wait until the master class to learn how  to mandate 'now  set up a user ID ' when you already have one and to create a greyed-out 'continue' button when all fields are filled in correctly..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback