Nhs dental refund for treatments abroad

Hi, i have applied for refund of my dental costs that incurred in Poland while I was there visiting family- £1,600 ( 6 appointments, 17 fillings, scaling, re- construction of filling, )
As you can imagine I haven’t planned that visits or costs but pregnancy clearly took a toll on my dental health. 
I have dental exemption due to pregnancy so If it was done in uk it would have been for free.
i have applied through EU route and was told that regardless of the amount of work as it was done within 2months I am eligible for £79.80- for all the work as that is what it would cost nhs!!! They confirmed that this is because of it’s all under bound 2.
i want to appeal but is this correct ? What can I do ? Has anyone applied for refund?
many thanks for any help!
stay safe

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 July 2020 at 10:46AM
    kam86 said:
    Hi, i have applied for refund of my dental costs that incurred in Poland while I was there visiting family- £1,600 ( 6 appointments, 17 fillings, scaling, re- construction of filling, )
    As you can imagine I haven’t planned that visits or costs but pregnancy clearly took a toll on my dental health. 
    I have dental exemption due to pregnancy so If it was done in uk it would have been for free.
    i have applied through EU route and was told that regardless of the amount of work as it was done within 2months I am eligible for £79.80- for all the work as that is what it would cost nhs!!! They confirmed that this is because of it’s all under bound 2.
    i want to appeal but is this correct ? What can I do ? Has anyone applied for refund?
    many thanks for any help!
    stay safe
    Yes private dental treatment in Poland does appear to be expensive and you have had quite a bit of work done.

The state will reimburse you for the amount it would have cost the NHS. £79.80 in your case.

Perhaps staying in the UK to have your baby is also a good idea?

You probably have read this? but for others? : https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/nhs-revsd-info-pats.pdf
    and on page 10?

If you would like the decision to be reviewed or appealed, please email   england.europeanappeal@nhs.net  quoting your unique reference number (provided when you were informed of the outcome of your application).  

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • kam86
    kam86 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post
    Hi, I already had a baby in uk. The work has been done after when I was visiting the family. ( FYI exemption is valid 12Months after your due date)

My question was if there is any way that I could appeal it or I will not be given more regardless.
    i have spoken with my colleague who works at the dental practice and she said that it’s virtually impossible to find nhs dentist as everyone Went private due to costs that are return by nhs. We can agree that this amount of work privately would cost me double in uk and if I was to wait for nhs it would take me half a year, black fillings and probably more work to be done due to the time that I would have to wait.
    what I am trying to find out is if it’s worth appealing ?
    many thanks in advance for your help
    kam
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When did you last visit a dentist?  Doesn't sound like a six monthly check up. 
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    17 fillings is 55% of your entire mouth! How could they all need replacing at once?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • jjames1985
    jjames1985 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    "Suddenly" needed 17 fillings.  Pull the other one.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Or even pull the remaining 15...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Isn't that what travel insurance is for? Claim on that.
  • kam86
    First Post
    When did you last visit a dentist?  Doesn't sound like a six monthly check up. 
    I never said it was a 6months check up and the reason you gave exemption during pregnancy and after is because this can happen when you pregnant.

• kam86
    First Post
    macman said:
    17 fillings is 55% of your entire mouth! How could they all need replacing at once?
    Again I am not asking for opinion on my teeth but help re refund here.
    i am not going to go into details but your tooth can have decay on few sides and under existing filling. Just FYI for you if you need to know. And again if you have been pregnant you would know that this can happen hence nhs exemption.
  • kam86
    First Post
    macman said:
    Or even pull the remaining 15...
    Really?! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts