No need for copies?

Options
crikaus
crikaus Posts: 83 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 7 July 2020 at 4:36PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
I am in the process for applying for probate online, I have finished paying, all the probate office are asking for is the original will, yet on mse probate guide it's says also need to send 3 copies, who is correct?

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ISTR I only sent the original. I have a feeling they changed it and once it was also 3 copies. But you can always contact the PO and ask them.
  • crikaus
    Options
    ISTR I only sent the original. I have a feeling they changed it and once it was also 3 copies. But you can always contact the PO and ask them.
    It states under
    "you need to send to the probate registry"
    the original will (this won't be returned to you)

And that's all, therefore I assume no copies required, and below that send to Harlow probate office.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We only had to send the original will, no copies and probate was granted with no issues.
  • PeterE17
    PeterE17 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Probate Office only needs the original Will. Remember to keep a copy for yourself. 
  • crikaus
    Options
    Thank you all

may be time to update the probate guide with the caveat of make a copy for yourself before posting
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think I had to send the original will and 3 copies, but that was 2 years ago and quite a lot has changed in that time. crucial to follow the up to date advice !
    PS agree re the copy before you send the original, I got local solicitor to do me a certified copy before I sent the original (for me to keep just in case)  
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just done the on-line submission and can confirm that the only things needed in the envelope are the original will and coversheet which I sent to Harlow via Royal Mail Special Delivery. Grant of Probate was returned completed 11 days later.....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback