The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Lowell default on my Equifax file

Hi guys
Looking for advice here with how to approach this.
So I checked my credit file making sure everything is in order for a mortgage application next year.
I Have one default that's settled and expiring in a couple of months,no big deal but then one more got added last month...Lowells Portfolio.Its a old account and the default will expire early next year.
Now the problem with this is that it actually my dads birth date on this account that's defaulted,we share the exact name even middle name too and I do remember my dad letting me use a phone account that I must of not paid being much younger, dumber and sticking my head in the sand rather than telling my dad so none of this is his fault, only mine.
I'm happy to just pay the whole thing off now but considering the account is a completely different birth date how can this even be on my file?   Do I have grounds to get this removed asap? should I get this disputed by Equifax? Should I even contact Lowells at all?
Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Fighter1986
    Fighter1986 Posts: 834
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2020 at 1:43PM
    As the account is recorded as having a different DOB against it than yours, it shouldn't appear on your credit file at all.

Raise this as a dispute with Equifax. 
  • george9071
    george9071 Posts: 159
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If this shows up on all 3 CRA's then i would dispute it with them all as it has the incorrect DOB and it should never have been on there. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback