Redundancy advice

My husband has started his 12 week notice period today. He has been offered the opportunity to apply for a different role in the company which he has. However, he has also been applying for other jobs and has an interview in a few days. I’m after some advice because the union rep has said that they could actually sale him in the 12 weeks and not pay out his redundancy. Could someone advise on what happens if you find alternative employment in your twelve week notice period. He been with his company for 20 years and doesn’t want to lose his redundancy money. 

Comments

• RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,492
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'd suggest ask HR if he's free to work elsewhere.  Contractual issues possibly.
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

If he has been told he has been redundant then he is obviously free to look for other jobs. If he gets another job and wants to leave early he can inform the company who will may let your husband change the date of leaving. Your husband will still get the redundancy pay but they can stop paying the notice pay.

Or they can decline to change the date. If they decline then you have the option to either wait to the end of notice before starting the new job or if they will not wait, leaving but if that is the case they may have deemed to have resigned and no redudancy pay.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback