PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Hot tubs and bars

Options
Hi

Apologies in advance for length of this post 

I was just looking for advice as searched countless websites on google but can’t find anything. I moved a few months back and have a ok relationship with my neighbours even though they are loud as hell, luckily we are detached so only hear them every night they are outside. My issue is I heard my neighbour discussing putting a hot tub and bar in his garden (fair enough) then realised he was talking about putting at the front part of his house and it would be 2 ft from my house, so much closer to mines than his own. Also be next to my back door and window. This is causing me so much stress as I know it’s just going to be constant noise day and night and I won’t be able to have my windows open. My other issue is my baby will also be moving into his nursery which is also on this side so won’t be able to have windows open in the summer and they way the gardens work is that his is higher the hot tub and bar won’t be far from the nursery at all. Now I know it’s their garden and they can do what the want but wanted to know if anything I can do? I will be speaking to them but unsure what to say. I have just endured 3 months of their extension being built and then them out drinking in the streets with neighbours till midnight most weekends (that’s another issue for another day)  never said a thing as people can do what they want but struggling to understand why they would think that’s ok. They would be as well as placing the hot tub in my back garden. 
Any advice on what I could say as don’t want to fall out but can see it happening if they do this 

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 July 2020 at 3:40PM
    Options
    You are probably better off moving if you think the noise will be too much.  If they already think it is ok to make as much noise as the want at midnight now,  then they wont care about anything you will say about their hot tub and bar idea.

I have a hot tub and always respectful to neighbours, its not very old and only makes a slight hum when its heating and set the pump cycles so they only go off in the day time.

Sad times.
  • Msimpson81
    Options
    I would love to move but after spending 4K just 6 months ago we can’t afford it. We will start saving to move but will take time unfortunately. I checked the street and area for a few months before I moved here and it seemed quiet enough. I just know they will constantly be screaming at their little girl if she’s in there as that’s all I hear already and have their friends over every weekend. I get people want to enjoy the hot weather as we don’t get it very often but build a bar or place your hot tub at the other end of the garden where it’s not gonna be a issue. They have plenty space to place it elsewhere so unsure why they want to put it right there, also people will be able to see them from the road if they place it there! People baffle me. 
    I do have a feeling that if they were considerate at all they wouldn’t even be thinking about placing it there so understand what you are saying about them doing as they please. 
    You could probably stand and my wall and if you stretched far enough could touch the side of it. It’s gonna be that close. My husband has knew the family for years (not close but through his dad) and we assumed they were a nice couple. Different story now we have seen the real them :( 
  • kasqueak
    kasqueak Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It’s a difficult one as of course they can put these things in their garden but decent people would be respectful to their neighbours. From what you’ve said it sounds like these are those sort neighbours that a lot of us have had that don’t have any respect for other people. 
    I guess the first point of call would be a friendly “oh I hear you’re thinking of getting a hot tub” type chat with them to gauge their response. Then if it was me I’d be dropping in hints about your babies room being at the back of the house and “hoping it’s not too loud” etc. 
    You say you’ve never said anything to them in the past about being a bit loud - many people don’t realise they’re being too loud if no one ever mentions it. If you’re reasonably friendly with them then you should be able to ask them to keep it down a bit - especially with a baby sleeping. 
    I have neighbours who like to listen to loud music and sometimes they seem to forget they have neighbours. Thankfully I can knock and ask them to turn it down a bit if it’s disturbing my toddler - and they do. Although I know some neighbours aren’t as accommodating. 
    Hope you work something out :)

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Make a point of playing loud music with your windows closest to the fence open, whenever they are in the garden. It might make them put it somewhere else.
    Or fit a dummy cctv camera that looks like it might be looking over that fence.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ProDave said:
    Make a point of playing loud music with your windows closest to the fence open, whenever they are in the garden. It might make them put it somewhere else.
    Or fit a dummy cctv camera that looks like it might be looking over that fence.
    Was thinking similar things. Maybe a sensor light that comes on when they move, and grow lavender or something that attracts bees! :)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Msimpson81
    Options
    I am going catch them out in the garden sometime rather than knocking on their door. Unsure if I say something the now when it’s only an idea or wait till I see it happening. It is stressing me out as I keep worrying about it everyday as I know it’s gonna be so loud as they are very loud people and my baby probably struggle to sleep or be woken up everytime they are gonna be out there at night. Their little girl doesn’t speak she only screams words and the noise when out playing with other kids is very loud.
    I obviously don’t complain about that even though it’s 5-9 every single night. 
    I just know if she’s in the hot tub with her friends the noise will be insane if right next to my house  :( 
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just be honest, knock, say that you accidentally overheard the conversation about the bar and hot tub and say that its a nice idea with the lovely weather we've had this year but could they please site it somewhere that is further away from your house because of the baby and so that you aren't disturbing each other every time you go out the back door.  

Don't wait until they've started work because then its much more hassle to change plans and they are much less likely to bother.  Don't complain about the noise either because you don't want them to see you as a complainer or an adversary.  This isn't being right or about the moral high ground its about getting the result you want! 

Your baby won't struggle to sleep because of it though, babies and small children can sleep through hurricanes and firework displays and smoke alarms going off, so please don't let that worry you too much! 
  • SilasMarner
    SilasMarner Posts: 97 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sadly, in my long experience with various neighbours, if they they are inconsiderate, then they will continue to be so. If you are the anxious type, then you will be consistently waiting for the disruption to occur. Folk like that will rarely become neighbourly once you start to discuss their behaviour. Be firm and in the last resort employ Newtons 3rd law!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    hazyjo said:
    Was thinking similar things. Maybe a sensor light that comes on when they move, and grow lavender or something that attracts bees! :)
    Not lavender that is too nice.  You need to start making comfrey liquid feed.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-make-a-comfrey-feed/

The important part of the article in the link above is this 'The leaves will break down gradually, releasing a smelly brown liquid.'
    Smells bad and is great for your garden.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback