Forum Home» Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning

IFA or DIY - any thoughts appreciated - Page 18

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

IFA or DIY - any thoughts appreciated

172 replies 6.5K views
1121314151618»

Replies

• BritishInvestorBritishInvestor Forumite
    403 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Got directed here from the more recent "to use an IFA or not" thread. The debate seems to have run its course, but I know Vanguard do have a FTSE UK Equity income fund. But with the UK market-cap indices yielding so high anyway Vs global indices, is there an argument that you could get plenty of UK equity income (emphasis on the income) exposure via a FTSE 100 or FTSE all share tracker, or even the FTSE 250 going off current yields.
    You might want to consider the potential downsides of a UK equity income approach
    https://www.vanguard.co.uk/documents/adv/literature/total-return-investing.pdf
  • PrismPrism Forumite
    2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mark13 said:
    If you happy to check funds, shares, trusts etc then I would say DIY.  Its fairly simple to find information on the internet and to build a portfolio of funds to generate income and growth. By comparison my IFA managed portfolio is still down YTD and my own ISA portfolio is considerably up . DIY  for me   gives me greater focus and flexibility and doesn't require too much tinkering .

I think quite a few portfolios - IFA or DIY - are still down or flat for the year. VLS 80 is -0.7% and VLS 60 is at +1.2%. Some would blame the higher UK weighting of something like the VLS range and possibly some IFA run portfolios but it doesn't have to be that way. I have around a 20% UK allocation and that part is positive for the year.